Skip to content

VGMs for people who dislike VGMs

Talk about whatever you want. General forum rules still apply.

Moderator: Staff

VGMs for people who dislike VGMs

Post by 1983parrothead »

Not sure if this board fits best, but most people I know prefer natural typical music like Santana, Jimmy Hendrix and some of today's hits like Katy Perry and Bruno Mars.

But in video game music, some just point at best games like Chrono Trigger and Mega Man 2.

Are there any VGMs that are amazing enough to be listened to by anyone who isn't fond of VGMs?
  • grauw Offline

Post by grauw »

Post by Kaminari »

The problem is mostly technological. The general audience is just not receptive to primitive synthetic music (aka. chiptunes).

As far as orchestral music is concerned, there are shitloads of great soundtracks which would please any listener. The trick is to not tell them those OSTs come from a videogame. Let them think it comes from a kung-fu drama blockbuster that was never released outside Japan.
  • talent Offline

Post by talent »

I also prefer VGMs that don't really sound like VGMs.

I'm partial to some of Konami's sound boards, try out:

- Lethal Enforcers
- Violent Storm

If you're into techno or house, any Yuzo Koshiro stuff - Misty Blue, Streets of Rage 1 or 2, Revenge of Shinobi (wish someone would make a HD remake of this).

Some others that I've found on vgmrips.net:

- Street Hoop - hip-hop, R&B
- Shock Troopers - guitars and techno
  • Alianger Offline

Post by Alianger »

Well, you could try going for the remixes (OCremix.org has a bunch of good ones) and try to gradually ease them into it, and/or find VGM that reminds you of those bands. I don't think the katy perry crowd would ever take retro vgm seriously though unless there's some nostalgia involved, and I think people in general expect (sexy) vocals in their music. But there are modern pop songs with chip elements so again, remixes could work.
  • MaliceX Offline

Post by MaliceX »

Anyone who's heard of Bumblefoot would recognise this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eDEp-8aPGeY
-dj.tuBIG/MaliceX