Skip to content

smps midi driver latency

Technical discussion which is not directly related to VGM files. Talk about Hardware and Software.

Moderator: Staff

• pianino Offline

smps midi driver latency

Post by pianino »

i install te mid driver again!, it was recognised perfectly in Windows 10, how ever, i have a issue, the high latency to perform a real time sequence using the driver.
is there a solusion for latency?
My favorite sound chip?, YM-2413!
  • ValleyBell Offline

Post by ValleyBell »

I tried to keep the default latency relatively low, but there will always be a bit.

There is no easy way to adjust latency, but here are the advanced instructions (you've been warned):
The only way to control the latency is to use the registry editor. Go to
<code>HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\MD MIDI Driver</code>

There create a value called "XBufNum" (it *might* be called "BufNum", if it decides to use DirectSound, but it usually shouldn't) of the type DWORD. Setting it to 4 or higher should be safe. (default is 15) Using values that are too low will cause stuttering.
Additionally you can also create a DWORD value "BufSmpls", which you can set to anything between 10 and 1024. (default is 176)

In general, the formula for the sound driver's latency is (BufNum * BufSmpls) / 44100. Getting low latency requires you to fiddle around with the values, as going too low with either setting will cause the sound to stutter.