vgmrips

The forum about vgm files
It is currently 2017-12-14, 6:21:11

All times are UTC + 1 hour [ DST ]

PostPosted: 2017-12-01, 0:42:31 

Contributors Contributors

Specifically the games that use the YM2151, OKI MSM625 adpcm, DAC combo

This is more likely a mame issue rather than a vgm, but there could potentially be a volume balance issue between the 3 chips with that sound board with either the dac or oki being too loud and fm not loud enough.

There has been discussion about Mortal Kombat's volume balance being off but since there is no direct pcb footage, it was never really taken seriously. I ended up finding potential pcb footage of a game that should run on the same hardware setup as Mortal Kombat, NBA Jam. I say "potential" because the description says "recorded from jamma board" rather than outright confirming that it's not emulation.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ogkuVQoUZ8Q

Current mame emulation sounds similar to this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uQz5fYnRQZ4

Last edited by kirishima on 2017-12-02, 0:38:22, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 2017-12-02, 0:37:54 

Just a post to apologize for the potentially misleading title. I just read it and realized how it could be perceived and changed it immediately. Also, anyone know if it's possible to embed videos here(and how) so others won't have to go to another site just to watch it?

Post subject:
PostPosted: 2017-12-02, 8:56:49 

Staff Staff

All the current Williams/midway packs already have an extra header, so changing the volume balance won't be hard. I didn't have a real hardware recording when doing the packs so I just guessed what the balance was supposed to be.

To change the DAC volume, edit bytes 0x10f-0x110 with the desired volume. The current value is 0x8280 (shows up as 80 82 in the hex editor, this is little endian for 2.5, keep in mind bit 15 must be set), to change to 1.0 change it to 0x8100 and so on.

I don't want to go back and forth with changing values and getting feedback, so I think it's best if you figure out the best values. Please submit a fixed pack in the pack update thread in the submissions forum. Or you can just tell me the correct values and I'll update the packs.