The forum about vgm files
It is currently 2017-12-15, 18:00:33

All times are UTC + 1 hour [ DST ]

Post subject:
PostPosted: 2017-12-02, 18:50:45 

Contributors Contributors
Staff Staff

insertnamehere wrote:
it works fine, and sorry if i may seem picky, but i asked for an expression that shows what is accessing 06794cf0...

I just copy pasted the commands I have. You already know how to change the offsets, so what's the matter :P

insertnamehere wrote:
just wanted to see how the songs are separated in the memory viewer, but maybe, is the game is reading from somewhere the start and end address, and using those to locate the song.

I already told you the location of the song table. The song table contains pointers to each song header, which in turn contains pointers to each channel's sequence. See my earlier posts. The end of each channel is marked by a command in the channel sequence.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 2017-12-02, 19:58:55 

ah, ok...
the command was asked just out of curiosity...

and for the end song thing, i forgot...

so, for the important stuff(finally, sorry it took so long), the song position commands...

(i feel like this is going to be complicated).

i will try to screw around with the effects, but dont count on me too much for that...
maybe with the help of some xm configurations...
(those links below are just for reference)
http://aluigi.altervista.org/mymusic/xm.txt
https://github.com/lclevy/unmo3/blob/master/spec/mod.txt

its early night for me now, maybe i can find something about those commands tomorrow...

meanwhile, i will give pgm2xm's source code(and maybe some other something2xm tools) a quick look time to time, to have a framework later on...

Post subject:
PostPosted: 2017-12-03, 19:23:52 

just a quick post.
Well, the song structure is very basic, there are no parts that play only once, and there is not a command that jumps from patter to pattern...
so, maybe that command that defines the end of the song, is also used to define the loop, but i haven't look into that, and maybe what im saying its obvious...
also, i had some watchpoints, and sometimes, they would just activate 2 times, but they would activate again only when the song loops.
i would post a video about it, but i have no time..

Post subject:
PostPosted: 2017-12-03, 20:40:11 

Staff Staff

Yes, glad to see you're making progress.

The song structure is pretty simple (it's originally based/generated from MIDI files i think, so no concept of patterns). There are probably commands to repeat blocks of data (but that block doesn't have to be exactly a measure or whatever), and there is a command to set the loop point. If you look at the memory while a song is playing, you should be able to identify the loop address for each channel, it is usually a few bytes after the beginning of the channel sequence. The loop command would obviously precede that offset.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 2017-12-03, 20:47:54 

thanks, i should have just stuck with what works...

also, is ok to ask if i can modify pgm2xm so that is 3rdstrike compatible, when the sound format is fully understood?

Edit: so, for song 1 is there, maybe, cant test this with cheat engine, because it doesnt seem to interact with the song data, so this is only a guess.

Attachment:
i dunno 2.JPG
i dunno 2.JPG [ 12.91 KiB | Viewed 175 times ]

i will try artmoney, but feels like avast sees it as a virus.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 2017-12-04, 8:03:02 

Staff Staff

You're free to modify pgm2xm as you want, although I would say it wouldn't be the best option. I suggest you modify one of Valley Bell's MIDI converters instead. The thing is that the PGM sound format is basically just compressed MOD files (all the MOD effects are already there). The CPS3 sound format isn't really close to a tracker module format at all.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 2017-12-04, 16:06:05 

ah, ok, i will ask valleybell about it.
the reason i wanted to use a ripper that saves in xm format, because openmpt does not have a fully supported midi/soundfont support, but if it loads fine in lmms/flstudio, im happy.

i need to make a correction to my post where i said that there is no one-off intros, as i forgot about necro and akuma's theme, where there are one-off intros...
is just that the majority of the songs are simple, and i forgot about those songs because.. i dont know.
here is a video about it.
i will look into that, but dont count on me too much...
but this time, i feel like i can find something interesting.

i also have a silly(and possibly pointless or obvious) question about effects, but c7 7f works as a panning command even if c7 is substituted by c2?
is the 7 in c7 considered part of the parameter of the effect, or part of the definition of the effect itself?

because i found a sequence of c2, and i cant explain this.
Attachment:
cant explain this.JPG
cant explain this.JPG [ 11.14 KiB | Viewed 139 times ]

the bc is a note velocity, the c7 here is the pan, but there are just a bunch of commands that i cant explain...

Post subject:
PostPosted: 2017-12-04, 23:42:57 

Staff Staff

insertnamehere wrote:
is the 7 in c7 considered part of the parameter of the effect, or part of the definition of the effect itself?

c0-ff sets the command itself. so the 7 is required to make it a "pan" command instead of a "set channel volume" command or whatever.

insertnamehere wrote:
because i found a sequence of c2, and i cant explain this.
Attachment:
cant explain this.JPG

the bc is a note velocity, the c7 here is the pan, but there are just a bunch of commands that i cant explain...

so, the c1 command just sets tempo, the following two bytes is the tempo (my guess has been 16th notes per minute, but can't say for sure).
c2 takes a single byte as argument and the following 01 is probably a very short rest. I don't know what that command does yet.
c4 sets instrument number. c6 and c8 sets channel volume (multiply the values of commands c6, c8, the note velocity and the envelope generator to get the actual channel volume).
c7 to set pan as you know, then a short rest again (01) and finally a note (which follows the velocity)

If you don't understand what a command does, just ignore it for now. as you collect more data it will probably make sense over time. Some commands may take one or two bytes (or maybe even more) as arguments, just keep that in mind.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 2017-12-05, 10:33:01 

i found interesting this command: d4 00 ff.
Attachment:
i dunno 3.JPG
i dunno 3.JPG [ 11.02 KiB | Viewed 119 times ]

i found a couple of them, and i think this is the channel separator, but maybe you figured it out already...
i also found this after a d4 00 ff from the previous song, that is followed by a 00, and its at the start of akuma's theme.
Attachment:
i dunno 4.JPG
i dunno 4.JPG [ 13.17 KiB | Viewed 119 times ]

maybe you have already an explaination of this too...
but that 21 is not anticipated by any velocity command, and its weird.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 2017-12-12, 22:38:22 

i have now made(and fixed) a note finder, and im announcing this just because i want to keep alive this thread.

and i hope this is not breaking the "do not revive long dead threads" rule.