vgmrips

The forum about vgm files
It is currently 2017-12-15, 12:20:26

All times are UTC + 1 hour [ DST ]

Post subject:
PostPosted: 2013-11-17, 14:20:28 

But even how much time you spend on doing cool FM synthesis hardware so is probably most game developers only gonna use the PCM for streaming music, just like those new Neo Geo games (does any of them use FM at all?) :-/

Post subject:
PostPosted: 2013-11-18, 17:11:43 

Programmers Programmers
Musicians Musicians

That is the sad reality unfortunately. Every MéPAS operator will likely be used as a PCM channel with built in envelope, much like what happened on Saturn...

Post subject:
PostPosted: 2013-11-18, 18:23:36 

Contributors Contributors

But how is it typically with such systems, I am pretty sure that there would be developers that would want the to push all this hardware to limits. This includes Sound Hardware as well. So some may be able to put some use into FM as well.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 2013-11-18, 22:16:27 

"push hardware limits" means for most people that you can hear CD quality stereo sound... so streaming music will likely be the choice.

Although maybe if Tiido supply good FM music making software with the system at release then some FM fans/nerds might do some cool FM stuff :)

I think this system sounds very interesting, but i can't support it by doing software for it as i am not a programmer or such (or music/graphics).

Post subject:
PostPosted: 2013-11-19, 18:16:07 

Programmers Programmers
Musicians Musicians

The machine is in the "never gets done" pile along with other stuff haha. It is relatively big, parts are not too cheap either and hardware is just one side, there's also the software side.

I still have not really decided what direction to take, as all are very appealing. The hardware is more than capable for really impressive 2D arcade quality games, and I really want to have a game console form factor (and JAMMA connector would not be hard to incorporate to edge of a board either). But I also love the idea of laptop form factor -some of the recent changes in hardware have been to allow to push hardware GFX acceleration at resolutions like 1400 x 1050 (LCD panel of my current laptop which would make an excellent base).

Other thing is that whoever is serious about doing stuff for the machine will have to learn assembly. I am not making a compiler for it, and since the CPU is brand new there is none available.
68K people will feel mostly home with the thing, it is somewhat influenced by 68K and is more flexible, with full orthogonality and plethora of addressing modes to choose from :3