Skip to content

Trying to get Mr. Driller ISNTRUMENT/VOICE samples

Technical discussion which is not directly related to VGM files. Talk about Hardware and Software.

Moderator: Staff

Trying to get Mr. Driller ISNTRUMENT/VOICE samples

Post by Mario123311 »

So basically all I've really wanted to do was take the instrument samples and possibly the voice samples of the titular character and use them for a fanwork of mine. I looked up a few tutorials on ripping specific sound bytes from Arcade ROMs, And saw Audacity seems to work on some games. So I managed to get Mr. Driller imported but the problem is... It sounds demonic and gross.

I'm uploading the soundbank in hoping someone can help me not make it sound AS loud as it is here? Because I don't think the samples are supposed to be this ear-rapingly loud or anything. You can clearly hear the sound bytes and instruments and everything but they are just sort of fucked up and evil sounding.

Settings I imported the raw data in is this for those wondering:

Encoding: Unsigned 8-bit
Byte Order: Little-Endian
Channels: 1 (Mono)
100% Imported
44100HZ

Basically I've been trying to get just the INSTRUMENT samples and more specifically, Susumu/Mr. Driller's raw voice samples - including the seemingly unused ones.
  • ctr Offline

Post by ctr »

All samples in this game uses the Namco mulaw format custom to the C352 and C219 sound chips. I wrote a tool a while ago to convert the samples to linear PCM, but it was lost in the great dropbox public link apocalypse...

I have now reuploaded the tool here, with some updates to improve the quality of decoded samples. This is a command line only program, drag and drop does not work.

Having a sample exporter built in to QuattroPlay has been on my todo for almost a year, I'm sorry I never got to it... But it is still possible to listen to all the music and sound effects in the game, in the optimal quality.

Also, moving the thread from the "Problems and suggestions" forum to non-VGM technical discussion.

Post by Mario123311 »

Thank you very much for this. I'm still somewhat of a newbie with command promts but I've learned how to get one up and running since my days of Smash Wii U modding. I managed to get it to output a file but it's only 1kb and whenever I import it into Audacity it barely seems to have anything. Am I doing something wrong?

Note the file I am trying to open specifically is the same one I imported into Audacity. I did try your other program you listed but it only allows me to play the ingame music, not even the sound effects.
  • ctr Offline

Post by ctr »

It looks like your file paths are wrong. If the program is in the same directory as the ROM files, you only have to enter the filename, not the complete path.

To play sound effects in QuattroPlay, you need to enter the "advanced" mode (press spacebar), you'll see a bunch of numbers (in need of a better term), with arrow keys highlight the top left and press I and D to play sounds, alternatively press enter once to select the sound ID and enter again to play the sound.

Post by Mario123311 »

ctr wrote:It looks like your file paths are wrong. If the program is in the same directory as the ROM files, you only have to enter the filename, not the complete path.

To play sound effects in QuattroPlay, you need to enter the "advanced" mode (press spacebar), you'll see a bunch of numbers (in need of a better term), with arrow keys highlight the top left and press I and D to play sounds, alternatively press enter once to select the sound ID and enter again to play the sound.
I do that and all it does is give me an error

Tried again with powershell by moving it to my desktop, still gives me a 1KB file.