Skip to content

QSound DSP

Technical discussion which is not directly related to VGM files. Talk about Hardware and Software.

Moderator: Staff

• kirishima Offline

QSound DSP

Post by kirishima »

Another trash thread, but interesting news nonetheless. QSound DSP has now been emulated in MAME, more or less. Currently the emulator will still use the older HLE emulation, but it can be allowed to use the newer LLE by modifying a line in the qsound.h file.

Currently, it's SLOW as heck, which is probably the reason it's not enabled by default currently (As of typing). Didn't stop me from recording a bit of Vampire Savior's attract mode bit of comparison if anyone is curious. It's audio only since space is practically non-existent because of a certain game I have (not gonna name names, it knows who it is), as well as Windows 10.

With DSP:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/ccrskq0yzxoaj ... P.mp3?dl=1

Without DSP:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/rgfljtwqf409o ... P.mp3?dl=1
  • ctr Offline

Post by ctr »

For anyone interested (and not following IRC), new and improved (and especially fast!) QSound HLE emulation (written by yours truly with help from Valley Bell) has found its way into libvgm and likely it will go into VGMPlay soon as well. If you're adventurous enough to try and compile the libvgm source code by yourself, you can try it out with the "vgmtest" application.
  • lo zaffo Offline

Post by lo zaffo »

Ok! You got me interested. I just cloned repository and compiled it with cmake on a Ubuntu MATE 16.04 box.
Everything extra slick.
Are there any super challenging .vgz file to test? :mrgreen:
Thank You!
  • ctr Offline

Post by ctr »

I don't know about any "super challenging" VGMs, but I can just suggest my favorites and the ones I listened to... I think you'll hear the difference in all VGMs.

Star Gladiator makes decent use of the echo effect, that you haven't been able to hear before with the old HLE. Song 04 for example.

I think all songs in Street Fighter Alpha 2 sound good with the QSound effect. Song 14 (Dan's stage) for example uses the panning effect well.

19XX has a jazz fusion sound that reminds me a lot of Metal Black, fits right in my taste... And sounds good too with the new emulation. Songs 11, 14, 21, 24 are my favorites.

I would also suggest Mars Matrix and Street Fighter EX2 Plus, but right now they're not logged.
  • kirishima Offline

Post by kirishima »

I think I'm gonna hold off on submitting re-optimized versions of my rips for the following reasons:

1. Some of my own rips that don't use the new vgm_cmp don't sound noticeably different in that vgmtest program. I thought it was gonna end up like what I experienced with mame's vgm player but thankfully didn't.

2. For proper replay gain. Last time I checked, you had to convert everything to wav before running it through that one tool to get a proper setting.

3. My Vampire Savior files are currently in a mess. To explain, I initially ripped the game long before ever actually joining the site, and thought maybe someone on here would come along and rip it better. Fast forward a year or 2, I got fed up and decide to join the site share the rip I had and also share a Darkstalkers I had just done(at least I think, I don't remember no more). Now the reason Vampire Savior would be a mess is because the rip I submitted here was updated from my older rip to be of better quality. The problem is I think I kept the older, lesser quality rips along with the newer ones and everything was put in a couple folders in an extremely haphazard fashion. Being that It's been a couple years, I don't know which files I ended up putting on this site and only have dates to go on so it's going to take me a bit of time to sort through that mess. Luckily, it's just that rip, my other rips are much tidier.

When 2 and 3 are sorted out, I'll post the updated files.

os x

Post by RandomName »

Thanks, libvgm also compiled properly in OS X. vgmtest plays with the libao driver.