Skip to content

Foo_GEP

It's finally catching up.

Technical discussion about the VGM format, and all the software you need to handle VGM files.

Moderator: Staff

• RichterEX2 Offline

Foo_GEP

Post by RichterEX2 »

Kode54 is gradually adding the new sound cores to foo_gep. The newest one out now adds YM2151, C140, SegaPCM, RF5C68, and RF5C164.

http://www.foobar2000.org/components/view/foo_gep
  • Tom Offline
  • Ragequit Member
    Ragequit Member

Post by Tom »

So much for "new" sound cores, the YM2151 has been part of the vgm standard since version 1.00 :P
Also known as nineko.
  • ValleyBell Offline

Post by ValleyBell »

Anyway, it's good news that foo_gep finally supports more chips.
  • RichterEX2 Offline

Post by RichterEX2 »

Kode54 has been cranking out quite a few updates lately. His newest is version 1.138, which now supports a lot more chips than before. A bit more than I care to list. So here's a changelog instead.

https://github.com/kode54/foo_gep/commits/master
  • RichterEX2 Offline

Post by RichterEX2 »

Interesting note. The prelim rip of Voltage Fighter Gowcaiser, which was missing instruments in in_vgm, actually sounds like it should in foo_gep. Very interesting.
  • RichterEX2 Offline

Post by RichterEX2 »

foo_gep updated again. This time with QSound support. Link to the plugin is in OP.
  • blitzlunar Offline

Post by blitzlunar »

Good times :) I use fb2k exclusively, and I've found some rips it currently either doesn't play, plays incorrectly, or cause it to crash, but hopefully with each update it's getting closer to playing all the sets on this site.

I only found this site recently, I had no idea there had been all this activity in arcade soundtrack ripping, and now I can play most of them it's awesome! Have to say huge thanks to all of you who've been involved with ripping these sets, I'm discovering a lot of great stuff (and deleting a lot of old mp3 sets I had as well.)

Presuming they are possible to rip I am looking forward to: Carrier Airwing, Golfing Greats 1+2, Bucky o Hare, Mystic Warriors, Dirt Dash, Battle Garegga, Kaiser Knuckle, Great Sluggers, Knuckle Heads, Alpine Racers, Dragon Saber, Plus Alpha, Violent Storm... and probably lots of others I've forgotten.
  • RichterEX2 Offline

Post by RichterEX2 »

I like it too, but my main gripe about it is that you can't set the chip samplerate like you can in in_vgm. So quite a few VGM sets sound horribly aliased despite having set a high samplerate in the options.

But yeah, I'd love to see Violent Storm and Battle Garegga done as well. Violent Storm is do-able at least, but I find the current tools rather impossible to find proper loop points in it so far. Maybe there should be a version of vgmlpfnd that's better suited for sample-heavy VGM sets.
  • RichterEX2 Offline

Post by RichterEX2 »

Newest version: 1.158 1.160 (So many updates)
https://github.com/kode54/foo_gep/commi ... 66f2b2abb9

- Adds Pitch Controls
- Improved QSound Quality
Last edited by RichterEX2 on 2013-01-15, 7:07:28, edited 1 time in total.

Post by kode54 »

RichterEX2 wrote:I like it too, but my main gripe about it is that you can't set the chip samplerate like you can in in_vgm. So quite a few VGM sets sound horribly aliased despite having set a high samplerate in the options.
Game_Music_Emu plays all FM chips in VGM format at their native sample rate, so unless the chip emulator itself is totally bonkers, the only aliasing present would also be present on actual hardware. In most cases, this sample rate is in excess of 48KHz. The included sinc resampler used for all chips also appropriately handles downsampling.

Examples which actually play correctly with MAME YM2612 core and this resampling setup, two sound effects from Sonic 3 & Knuckles. And for good measure, a track which demonstrates extensive use of SSG envelope generator mode, The Spaceport from Bubba n Stix. I'm sure Genesis Plus GX gets this right as well, but I know that the Gens core that was originally optimized and bundled with GME did not.

http://cl.ly/0z0a1a0m3y12

Post by jaja2939ugmf »

So. This Foobar2000's Game Emu Player Plugin is Implemented the NES,K054539 and YM3526 on VGM Format Yet?