Skip to content

New ripper troubles

Technical discussion about the VGM format, and all the software you need to handle VGM files.

Moderator: Staff

• caius Offline

New ripper troubles

Post by caius »

Hi all,I'm caius, hardware technician with the hobby of arcade repairing.
After some years of pause I'm again into VGM world (I've done some work on Sega Saturn and SFF in the past)
I'm facing some troubles in finding the right setup to do VGM.I tried first logged VGM with modded MAME from Valleyball then write them to WAV format using Foobar.Then I analyzed them with Audacity to get the right start, loop and end times (expressed in samples).Lastly I tried to trim them using DOS programs but some of them lack of samples (like the Konami Vendetta ones), besides it's a very time-consuming process.
Maybe using M1 arcade player will be more immediate so there will be no need to trim .VGM files?Last thing : is possible to add fading to a .VGM file?
Thanks in advance and sorrry for all my questions

Post by vampirefrog »

Hi caius, and welcome to VGMRips!

The VGM ripping process has some alternate pathways, for example, instead of finding the loop points with Audacity, you can find them with vgmlpfnd, which is a command line tool specifically designed for finding loops in the VGM files.

Also, let me clarify what samples means: it means that you take the sound and divide it into 44100 divisions of a second. It is not the same thing as drum samples that some games use (and as you well know, are sometimes stored in ROM). We use samples to have some means of timing properly.

As far as fading goes, the VGM player fades out automatically after 2 loops (the number is configurable, as well as the duration of the fade).

What tutorial are you using? There are some that are out of date. New tools have sprung up in the meantime. You can also help us write a new tutorial by describing the process that works best for you.

You can post your logged VGMs as attachments (try 7zipping them) so we can take a look.

Cheers!
  • caius Offline

Post by caius »

HI and thanks for your reply.
I knew what samples mean!Of course!I'm into electronics and arcade repairing since a lot of years :)
Regarding Vendetta VGM, I mean the first song in the pack is wrong, it misses some tracks ( I used the word "samples" improperly) , this is because the ripper trimmed the VGM in wrong point and some commands were lost.Infact I trimmed it before and the .VGM now plays fine.
Last edited by caius on 2015-01-17, 17:22:45, edited 1 time in total.

Post by vampirefrog »

Can you post the corrected VGM, please? We'll replace the one in the current pack.
  • caius Offline

Post by caius »

Here you go.It's not yet optimized and compressed.It should be already tagged though.
Attachments
Vendetta - The Declaration of the War (Attract mode).7z
(683.76 KiB) Downloaded 226 times