vgmrips

The forum about vgm files
It is currently 2017-08-23, 23:07:57

All times are UTC + 1 hour [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 184 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 9, 10, 11, 12, 13
 Post subject:
PostPosted: 2017-03-06, 10:44:26 

Hey, ValleyBell! I hope you're doing well.

I have a doubt. Is it actually possible to remove activity from certain channels on a Sega Mega Drive VGM, more specifically, YM2612 channels? I'm logging VGMs from a game I know that uses a certain channel for sound effects, and I could have only the music playing normally just by removing the activity from that channel. I read somewhere, doing a keyword search on the forum, that channel stripping isn't yet possible for the YM2612 with vgm_ptch; I tried with VGMTool 2r6 and I still have no idea what it does, if I'm doing it right or wrong, or if it's actually reliable or not. I would really appreciate some feedback on this.

Thanks in advance!

Post subject:
PostPosted: 2017-03-06, 11:41:15 

Staff Staff
Programmers Programmers
Musicians Musicians
Contributors Contributors

Actually, the preferred way would be to get someone to hack the game for you to prevent SFX from playing at all.
SFX mute music channels temporarily (in most sound drivers), so logging a VGM that includes SFX involves losing a part of the music already. (We have this problem with the current VGM rip of Bonanza Bros., btw.)

Post subject:
PostPosted: 2017-03-06, 11:49:13 

Well, yes, that's what I want to do primarily, but it'll take me a while to learn to hack and I don't want to have to pester someone to do it for me every time I want to make a rip.
These songs I wanted to rip, I already made sure that they don't play any music notes in the SFX assigned channel so there would be no interferences. In any case, hacking the game will still be the optimal solution.

Thanks for your feedback!

Post subject:
PostPosted: 2017-05-03, 21:45:00 

Staff Staff
Programmers Programmers
Musicians Musicians
Contributors Contributors

Please don't use vgm_cmp on GameBoy VGMs until there is an update.
The current version of vgm_cmp was written with the old (inaccurate) GameBoy core in mind and optimized VGMs play half-broken with the new GB core used by the most recent VGMPlay update.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 184 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 9, 10, 11, 12, 13