Skip to content

New VGM to MIDI + OPM + SYSEX tool for YM2151

Technical discussion about the VGM format, and all the software you need to handle VGM files.

Moderator: Staff

• ctr Offline

Post by ctr »

Ok, it is because the music in Hotdog Storm does not use the PCM at all, so the data has been removed from the VGM rips. Open the sound ROMs from the game instead. To know what ROM to open, you'll have to look it up in the MAME source code, as a hint here is the ROM definitions for Hotdog Storm (mp1.u65)
  • Alianger Offline

Post by Alianger »

Has there been any updates? These are some tracks I haven't been able to rip instruments from with any tool yet:

TMNT Turtles in Time - Character Bios, Boss, Scene 2/Alleycat (crashes vgm2tfi and vgm2opm), Scene 3/Sewer Surfing (crashes vgm2tfi and vgm2opm), Prehistoric (crashes vgm2tfi and vgm2opm), Night Riders, Starbase (crashes vgm2tfi+vgm2opm)
  • the goob Offline

Post by the goob »

Is anybody willing to share this program?

It appears the OP took it down due to perceived lack of gratitude and did not respond to my request to share.

Thanks in advance to anyone willing to help. :mrgreen:
  • the goob Offline

Post by the goob »

Please? Anybody? :help:
  • Yarm Offline

Post by Yarm »

Its back!
Merry Christmas! :)
  • the goob Offline

Post by the goob »

Yessss!! No more copying patches by hand :joy:

Thanks so much :D
  • vidpro1 Offline

RE: New VGM to MIDI + OPM + SYSEX tool for YM2151

Post by vidpro1 »

Yarm,

That tool is very useful thanks for making YM2151 OPM patch files all in one shot. If you plan on updating it in the future I could use an option box to force the bpm of the midi from the VGM conversion to a lower or higher number.
That way when I use a tracker like Renoise or FL Studio the piano roll notes are stretched out farther. Some midi converters make the bpm like 30bpm or 70bpm on the midi output which is not usable in most cases.
Have a nice Holiday!
  • Yarm Offline

Post by Yarm »

I've just added the abilty to set the BPM and TQN, please let me know if it helped :)
  • vortex64 Offline

problems with the program

Post by vortex64 »

hello!
It seems when I load a .vgm file into the converter, it says the file size but then proceeds to do nothing, and i cant find anything online to help so I was wondering if anyone knew what to do.
  • Yarm Offline

Post by Yarm »

Is it a VGZ file? If so you need to unzip it first.
  • serqetry Offline

Post by serqetry »

Hi, thanks for making this tool. I really wanted to convert YM2151 arcade music to play in Logic Pro with my Yamaha FB-01, so I was very excited to find this.

I'm a bit confused though, the MIDI file it creates seems to be all one channel, so all the same instrument. With some music it seems to have more than one instrument in places, but mostly it all sounds like one.
I assume the different instruments are meant to be played on different MIDI channels, but I don't understand how it would know. Also I'm not certain I'm loading the SYSEX into the FB-01 correctly or if I need to change settings on it.

Anyway, any help understanding exactly how to use this would be greatly appreciated.
  • serqetry Offline

Post by serqetry »

Ahhh figured it out. In the FB-01 had to set the voice bank on all the instruments to 1. Also the midi file does contain separate midi channels, Logic just loads them all into one midi object and then you have to tell it to separate them by channel if you want them split up... but once the voice banks are set it plays properly whether they're separated or not.

This is awesome!