Skip to content

Hacking for dummies tutorial?

Technical discussion about the VGM format, and all the software you need to handle VGM files.

Moderator: Staff

• kyusawamura Offline

Hacking for dummies tutorial?

Post by kyusawamura »

As we all know, a new VGM logging tutorial is in desperate need. I want to log VGMs from games that lack a sound test screen. M1 only works for arcade games and it doesn't work correctly either, as it often misses tempo change events and I'm starting to suspect that it might also be missing other events like volume changes and the like. So I might as well consider ditching M1 as an option for future rips.

The "tutorial" in Project2612 is as old as injustice and the "basic hacking" section has remained a "work in progress" for... Has it been a decade?
Last edited by kyusawamura on 2016-04-23, 16:26:00, edited 1 time in total.

Post by vampirefrog »

• kyusawamura Offline

Post by kyusawamura »

Real helpful. A link to a clone of the old tutorial without a single trace of the promised "basic hacking" appendix.

I am indeed thankful for many things ValleyBell has done for the community and I still use his software; but as far as I can see, the tools available for non programmers are unattended since forever and most of the time a user reports an issue, they're told that they're doing it all wrong or that "it can't be fixed". For that, the staff responds in a record time lapse, but when it comes to assistance, updates and bug fixing, you better be a programmer or be screwed.

I wouldn't have to deal with any of this if I knew how to make my own tools. I won't rely on the forum for anything from now on.
  • ValleyBell Offline

Post by ValleyBell »

Alternatively you could just ask for help on IRC/in the chat box.
At least half of all people who submit packs aren't programmers and if they have questions, they just ask.

That a tool runs within a console windows doesn't mean it's for programmers only, btw. Most of the VGM tools work by dropping files on them.
If we say things "can't be done/fixed" it's probably for a good reason, like VGMs not supporting a certain sound chip. (e.g. those tons of custom sound chips on Namco boards or single-channel PCM chips)
I need to admit that recently I'm updating the tools pretty slowly though.
  • kyusawamura Offline

Post by kyusawamura »

Wow. I can't believe how salty I was back there. I take back all I said.
I also suppose it would still be a bit troublesome to write a hacking tutorial for people who have no ASM knowledge. Or, is it not strictly required?