Skip to content

Node.js+Electron VGM player in JavaScript, official thread

Technical discussion about the VGM format, and all the software you need to handle VGM files.

Moderator: Staff

• neologix Offline

Node.js+Electron VGM player in JavaScript, official thread

Post by neologix »

Good evening, all! In my recent efforts to clean up broken code in my JS web VGM player, I've chosen to also play around with Electron and Node.js. I recently worked on a project to port my web player to Electron and Node.js in a desktop app format, and so far I like its results. The bonus side effects I've gotten from it include fixing my broken JS QSound emulation and adding passable OKIM6295 emulation, so now all Capcom CPS-1 and CPS-2 tracks should play properly!

No full app distribution just yet, so get the code at https://github.com/vgm/node-vgmplay and do whatever it is you do to get Node stuff working (the readme also has some instructions). Needs Node.js and Electron; works on macOS, should work on Windows and Linux, but I haven't tested it on those yet.

Post by vampirefrog »

What is this for?
  • neologix Offline

Post by neologix »

vampirefrog wrote:What is this for?
If you mean what OS it's for, it should work on any platform Electron works on. Eventually I'll have pre-made binaries but in the meantime the source is available.

If you mean what chips it's for, it currently does all VGM 1.50, OKIM6295, and QSound.

If you mean what's its purpose, I already said it's a desktop app version of my web player, complete with cores written directly in JS rather than compiled from VGMPlay using Emscripten.

If you mean why did I make it, I mainly did it to have a version of my web app that was more desktop oriented and to get used to the ins and outs of Node.js and Electron. I'm also going to be testing new JS cores on this first from now on, then publish them to my web player.
  • grauw Offline

Post by grauw »

If you mean what's its purpose, I already said it's a desktop app version of my web player, complete with cores written directly in JS rather than compiled from VGMPlay using Emscripten.
Oh, nice work! When you have binaries I’ll definitely try it out.
  • neologix Offline

Post by neologix »

Update: HuC6280 (PC-Engine/Turbografx-16) playback is restored! Now this version of the player officially surpasses the capabilities of the web version.