Skip to content

Need help converting a VGM

Technical discussion about the VGM format, and all the software you need to handle VGM files.

Moderator: Staff

• savageboy Offline

Need help converting a VGM

Post by savageboy »

I'm going to make this quick because I keep getting logged out every time I attempt to post.

I'm a new member and wanted to convert "Lake Side Memory" from Space Harrier (the Genesis version) into MIDI but both tools I tried didn't work.

vgm2midi, a commandline tool, gives me an empty mid file. vgm2mid, a GUI tool, gives me a stop statement error.

I have the VGM file under here (as a VGZ) for reference. Any help would be appreciated, thank you.
Attachments
11 Lake Side Memory Ending.vgz
(16.75 KiB) Downloaded 248 times
  • ctr Offline

Post by ctr »

there is no "genesis" version of space harrier 1. There's a 32X version but no rip of that has been published. that VGM is from the arcade version.
  • savageboy Offline

Post by savageboy »

ctr wrote:there is no "genesis" version of space harrier 1. There's a 32X version but no rip of that has been published. that VGM is from the arcade version.
So conversion in that format isn't possible?
  • ctr Offline

Post by ctr »

It is possible, but vgm2midi is a pretty old program and it may not work on newer packs (such as the ones found on this site).
  • savageboy Offline

Post by savageboy »

ctr wrote:It is possible, but vgm2midi is a pretty old program and it may not work on newer packs (such as the ones found on this site).
Ah, I understand.
  • ValleyBell Offline

Post by ValleyBell »

I guess you're just pretty unlucky with Space Harrier.
The main problem here is the SegaPCM sound chip. vgm2mid is currently hardcoded to the sample offsets of OutRun and executes a "Stop" statement when it finds an unknown sample offset. (Sorry, the stop statement was originally meant for debugging and I forgot about it, thus it was accidentally left it in the code.)

If you are okay with just the FM notes, you can use

Code: Select all

vgm_ptch.exe -Strip:SegaPCM "11 Lake Side Memory Ending.vgz"
to remove the SegaPCM part. vgm2mid should be able to convert it then.

The GUI-based vgm2mid tool (version from 2013-09-09) should still be the most-complete of all tools that convert VGMs to MIDI files.
I don't think any of the other tools can convert more than SN76489 (PSG) and maybe YM2413.
  • savageboy Offline

Post by savageboy »

ValleyBell wrote:I guess you're just pretty unlucky with Space Harrier.
The main problem here is the SegaPCM sound chip. vgm2mid is currently hardcoded to the sample offsets of OutRun and executes a "Stop" statement when it finds an unknown sample offset. (Sorry, the stop statement was originally meant for debugging and I forgot about it, thus it was accidentally left it in the code.)

If you are okay with just the FM notes, you can use

vgm_ptch.exe -Strip:SegaPCM "11 Lake Side Memory Ending.vgz"
to remove the SegaPCM part. vgm2mid should be able to convert it then.

The GUI-based vgm2mid tool (version from 2013-09-09) should still be the most-complete of all tools that convert VGMs to MIDI files.
I don't think any of the other tools can convert more than SN76489 (PSG) and maybe YM2413.
Thanks for the tip, I'll try this
  • savageboy Offline

Post by savageboy »

vgm_ptch keeps giving me "Error loading 11 Lake Side Memory Ending. vgz!"; I tried renaming it to one word and it still won't work. It's like it can't find the file. I think I'm REALLY unlucky with Space Harrier here
  • ValleyBell Offline

Post by ValleyBell »

savageboy wrote:vgm_ptch keeps giving me "Error loading 11 Lake Side Memory Ending. vgz!"
If you have a closer look, there is an unwanted space in the file name you entered:

11 Lake Side Memory Ending. vgz
              space here --^
You could try entering "11" and then press the TAB key to make it complete the file name. (This also inserts quotes where required.)

If you still need help, using IRC or the chatbox might be a good idea.
  • savageboy Offline

Post by savageboy »

ValleyBell wrote:
savageboy wrote:vgm_ptch keeps giving me "Error loading 11 Lake Side Memory Ending. vgz!"
If you have a closer look, there is an unwanted space in the file name you entered:

11 Lake Side Memory Ending. vgz
              space here --^
You could try entering "11" and then press the TAB key to make it complete the file name. (This also inserts quotes where required.)

If you still need help, using IRC or the chatbox might be a good idea.
The TAB thing worked; I had to manually use the "cd" command to navigate to the folder of the VGMTools and then did the -Strip:SegaPCM and the MIDI converted successfully with the melodies I need intact. Finally! Thank you guys for the help.