Skip to content

Interesting thought I just had...

VGMs from Non-Games?

Technical discussion about the VGM format, and all the software you need to handle VGM files.

Moderator: Staff

• RichterEX2 Offline

Interesting thought I just had...

Post by RichterEX2 »

I know this is very far out there, but very plausible. I was watching TV last night and a thought occurred to me. Old 80's coin-op rides quite often used the same hardware that the arcades used in their games. Example: This one uses an AY-3-8910. So couldn't we, in theory, make VGMs of this sort of thing as well?

I know this probably isn't the place for this, but it's just a very interesting idea.
  • ValleyBell Offline

Post by ValleyBell »

Hey, why not? :P
We could make VGMs, of course.
We would just need some sort of emulator to log the stuff, but I wouldn't have anything against it.
  • MaliceX Offline

Post by MaliceX »

If memory serves, there was a pinball emulator of sorts in the vein of MAME. (PinMAME?)

EDIT: In action http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R1-kb0K8Iho
Last edited by MaliceX on 2013-01-04, 15:40:08, edited 1 time in total.
-dj.tuBIG/MaliceX

Post by Sonic of 8! »

Most of PinMAME games has starting moved to MAME. Remember in the SF II pinball case that it didn't run on it?
  • tails_ Offline

Post by tails_ »

Do we really need emulator? As I discussed in similar topic (mostly in IRC) it's not hard to dump data from actual hardware :P
  • blitzlunar Offline

Post by blitzlunar »

The best argument for logging pinball machine VGMs: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2DIxwagq1kc

Truly the greatest anthem of our times.
  • MaliceX Offline

Post by MaliceX »

tails_ wrote:Do we really need emulator? As I discussed in similar topic (mostly in IRC) it's not hard to dump data from actual hardware :P
Keep in mind that not everyone has ROM chip dumping tools/capabilities, as well as access to the original game boards to begin with. :P
-dj.tuBIG/MaliceX
  • muteKi Offline

Post by muteKi »

(PS blitzlunar you got your URL wrong http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fCKDvjVzpNQ)

Post by JFD62780 »

OOH! That reminds me: Would there be a way to add the HC55516 to the list of emulated chips in the VGM format in the future? The vocals in Black Knight 2000, after all, were encoded using CVSD, and I KNOW it ain't an OKI doing the job, or we'd hear more than one channel of digital audio! (Yes, I know, there are digital drums, but that'd require a DAC...)
Until next post...
  • ValleyBell Offline

Post by ValleyBell »

I don't know yet if it's worth the work and if the logging output will we decent (it supports a software clock) but at least it is used by 10 or so games.