Skip to content

VGM preset dumper pre-release feedback

Technical discussion about the VGM format, and all the software you need to handle VGM files.

Moderator: Staff

• CyrusRoberto Offline

What a relief!

Post by CyrusRoberto »

neologix, you cannot image for how long I've been looking for something like this (probably three years). For the longest time I've been wanting to compose YM2151 music for a project of mine, and I've practically done everything I could to try to figure out how to extract OPM instruments from CPS1/MAME YM2151 CYM logs generated by WinKawaks and some modified MAME binaries. Today I found out that Shiru had completely discontinued and deleted all of his work, right when I discovered that he updated vgm2opm to include YM2151 support (which he did last summer). I figured that I was gonna have to write my own tools to be able to do the proper conversions, and today I spent the day looking over the pre-v1.1 vgm2opm source code to see how I would need to modify it to support YM2151 dumps (which I converted from CYM to VGM with VGMTool). But now that I have run into this post, I feel very relieved and hopeful once again. It would be awesome if you can release your efforts as open source, say, on GitHub. I'd really love to keep track of this project. Thank you :D

Also, if anybody has a copy of any of the newer VGM utilities that Shiru made (especially vgm2opm v1.1), would you mind uploading it somewhere and posting the link please? The source code would be awesome as well, I've already got Shiru's works functioning under Code::Blocks.

-CyrusRoberto
Last edited by CyrusRoberto on 2013-02-13, 22:20:39, edited 2 times in total.
  • tails_ Offline

What a relief! Also, it appears that my post's body is gone

Post by tails_ »

neologix, you cannot image for how long I've been looking for something like this (probably three years). For the longest time I've been wanting to compose YM2151 music for a http://www.64digits.com/games/index.php ... me&id=5593 project of mine, and I've practically done everything I could to try to figure out how to extract OPM instruments from CPS1/MAME YM2151 CYM logs generated by WinKawaks and some modified MAME binaries. Today I found out that http://chipmusic.org/forums/post/131191/#p131191 Shiru had completely discontinued and deleted all of his work, right when I discovered that he updated vgm2opm to include YM2151 support (http://chipmusic.org/forums/topic/7184/ ... 51-to-opm/ which he did last summer). I figured that I was gonna have to write my own tools to be able to do the proper conversions, and today I spent the day looking over the pre-v1.1 vgm2opm source code to see how I would need to modify it to support YM2151 dumps (which I converted from CYM to VGM with VGMTool). But now that I have run into this post, I feel very relieved and hopeful once again. It would be awesome if you can release your efforts as open source, say, on GitHub. I'd really love to keep track of this project. Thank you :D

Also, if anybody has a copy of any of the newer VGM utilities that Shiru made (especially vgm2opm v1.1), would you mind uploading it somewhere and posting the link please? The source code would be awesome as well, I've already got Shiru's works functioning under Code::Blocks.

-CyrusRoberto
There were some ]'s after urls which broke parser apparently, heh
  • neologix Offline

Re: What a relief! Also, it appears that my post's body is g

Post by neologix »

CyrusRoberto wrote:But now that I have run into this post, I feel very relieved and hopeful once again. It would be awesome if you can release your efforts as open source, say, on GitHub. I'd really love to keep track of this project. Thank you :D
Glad to hear someone's looking forward to the upcoming YM2151 support! Regarding open-source, I do indeed plan on putting the thing on GitHub once I debug the issue superjoebob told me about and add the upcoming YM2151-to-OPM functionality. Keep watching https://github.com/vgmtool/vgm2pre for updates!
  • CyrusRoberto Offline

weird...

Post by CyrusRoberto »

How odd, I could have sworn that I did the [ url= <link> ] <text> [ /url ]. After having used BBCode on another online community for the past six years, I feel kinda embarrassed. I must have been really out of it last night, lol.

But yeah, after looking over Shiru's vgm2opm code last night, I've discovered that the only reason why instruments are not being outputted is because the registers are labeled as such that the write_fm() function called in the parser immediately returns nothing (given when the register number is less than or equal to a certain value) and leaving its state untouched, and I could get the tool to work if I knew which register corresponds to what in the YM2151 format. But I admit that I'm very new at this, and I'm gonna have to take some more time to familiarize myself with the general structure of Yamaha FM chips. I'll share any progress that I make, but at the moment I am pretty busy with my engineering classes.

I wish I could just ask Shiru for the vgm2opm v1.1 implementations, but I fear of a hostile reaction and probably even some sort of cease and desist.