Tracks8
Playing time6:20
Pack authorSonic of 8!
Pack version1.00
Last Update2013-09-04

• tails_ Offline

Post by tails_ »

Post by Sonic of 8! »

tails_ wrote:This sounds like FC port of http://vgm.mdscene.net/forum/viewtopic.php?p=1808
BINGO! ;D

Trivia: Sometimes, people speak the game name as "You Mais" instead of Yuu Maze (due to be a port of the Arcade game Raimais).
Last edited by Sonic of 8! on 2013-09-11, 5:29:46, edited 2 times in total.
オモいカルチャーをオモチャーと言う - 細野晴臣
  • tails_ Offline

Post by tails_ »

Btw, So8!, can you explain missing first triangle note in both highscore musics and game over? And in ending music it sounds kinda delayed; all compared to NSF.

Post by Sonic of 8! »

I didn't know. This occur in MESS too (in Title Screen music that is track 7, you can see this effect). Another game that probally uses the same music driver (Operation Wolf, NES) has this problem. Maybe is some function missing in MAME/MESS N2A03 core.
オモいカルチャーをオモチャーと言う - 細野晴臣
  • Despatche Offline

Post by Despatche »

The correct name of this game is Youmais. It clearly says this on the main menu, being a port of Raimais.

If you use "Yuu Maze", you might as well change Raimais to "Rei Maze". Bad idea.

Post by Sonic of 8! »

Despatche wrote:The correct name of this game is Youmais. It clearly says this on the main menu, being a port of Raimais.

If you use "Yuu Maze", you might as well change Raimais to "Rei Maze".
Raimais and Yuu Maze has the same meaning on japanese. So, comparing the romajis:

レイメイズ = Reimeizu

遊メイズ = Yuumeizu

The メイズ romaji means Maze, so, both names means the same thing: A game focused on mazes (or just a Pac-Man clone for newbies).

Is unknown why Taito choose to release Raimais for Disk System as Yuu Maze.
オモいカルチャーをオモチャーと言う - 細野晴臣
  • ctr Offline

Post by ctr »

I think the question was if "Yuu Maze" really is the official romanization for this, considering "Youmais" is used in the game itself, and also matches the official romanization for Raimais.

Post by Sonic of 8! »

ctr wrote:I think the question was if "Yuu Maze" really is the official romanization for this, considering "Youmais" is used in the game itself, and also matches the official romanization for Raimais.
I prefer to keep the Yuu Maze name, because:

1- It is the name used in-game, on the box and on the instruction manual
2- Yuu Maze is a more popular term comparing Youmais around the web (give a try put Youmais on any search engine).
オモいカルチャーをオモチャーと言う - 細野晴臣
  • Despatche Offline

Post by Despatche »

Well, that's exactly the thing: that's not true, at all.

"Yuu Maze" is not used anywhere. You won't found that term on the box, in the instruction manual, or in any line of code. What you will find is "遊メイズ". They are not the same thing. That is not how romanization works.

There is something else you will find: "YOUMAIS". You will definitely find this in the game, as it's right on the main menu. Likely, it's somewhere in the manual as well. This name was chosen to match the arcade version, "RAIMAIS". "YOUMAIS" is not the same thing as "Yuu Maze". That is not how romanization works.

Of course you will find "Yuu Maze" everywhere on the Internet, because people have only known that phrase for years and years. People don't research this stuff, no matter how simple or complicated it is to do. That's not a good thing. When you find the truth and attempt to tell the people that matter, they will tell you what you're telling me right now: tradition.

Here is the truth: the correct name of this game is 遊メイズ. The game gives YOUMAIS as a reading, chosen to match the original version of the game, RAIMAIS. This set needs to be renamed Youmais; now that the truth is out there, using anything else would be intentionally lying.

Post by vampirefrog »

as far as I'm concerned, we can just use the most google-searched title, so people can more easily find it here.