Skip to content

Winamp question

Relevant to emulated video game music files.

Technical discussion about the VGM format, and all the software you need to handle VGM files.

Moderator: Staff

• dissident93 Offline

Winamp question

Post by dissident93 »

I've changed some option in Winamp that makes it disregard track order UNLESS it has there in the data itself (like MP3 or FLAC). Since the VGM format uses a playlist order, it's based on alphabetical order.

Can anybody tell me what I did and how to get it back? They were in order before, and I've had some trouble with Winamp lately so it must have been something I've changed.
  • dissident93 Offline

Post by dissident93 »

Guess nobody knows what I did then? hahaha

SPC songs are also affected, so it has to have something to do with reading playlist info. Does anybody here even use Winamp?
  • ValleyBell Offline

Post by ValleyBell »

Sorry, I really have no idea how to fix/improve that.
I'm using Winamp quite often to play spc, psf, etc.

I know that Maxim's in_vgm tried to detect the track number by searching for an m3u-file in the current folder and reading all its entries, but that's way too hackish for my taste.
  • dissident93 Offline

Post by dissident93 »

Guess I just got diddledaddle with it more then.

And by the way, was there a reason why VGM files were never given track numbers in the metadata to begin with?
  • ValleyBell Offline

Post by ValleyBell »

I don't know. That decision was done years before I discovered the VGM format.
Well, maybe it's time to make GD3 v1.01?
  • Tom Offline
  • Ragequit Member
    Ragequit Member

Post by Tom »

For one, it's time to move this topic to a better forum section, which I just did.

That said, since I use Winamp 2, this is a problem that doesn't affect me. If I put some files in the playlist, they're played in the order I want them. I wasn't even aware that Winamp 5 has an option to sort files by its own will, one more reason to stick with Winamp 2.

That said 2, it's probably easy to expand the GD3 without breaking compatibility with older players. Look at the GD3 specs: new fields can be stacked at the end of it. Older players won't read them, newer players will. Not sure how older players might react to an internal GD3 version number of 1.01 though.
Also known as nineko.
  • ValleyBell Offline

Post by ValleyBell »

Old versions of in_vgm simply check for the version being >= 1.00, VGMPlay/in_vgm ignore the version completely. (Maybe I should change that.)

But there are a few players that do very strict version checks. foo_gme for example refused to play my Sega Channel vgms (pure SN76489 + YM2612), because their version says 1.51.
That's why my packing script sets the version of each VGM as low as possible.

btw: I don't see any game music format that has track numbers in its tags. Aside from SPC with extended tags, which includes the Disc and Track fields, but just a reference to OST CDs.
  • Tom Offline
  • Ragequit Member
    Ragequit Member

Post by Tom »

I see. Well, the alternative would be to have the GD3v1 and the GD3v2 (specified with a different pointer in the header) to coexist, à la ID3v1 and ID3v2 in mp3 files, but I personally hate this idea for several reasons. For one, it would increase the VGM version number since it modifies the header; it also splits the GD3 into multiple parts, meaning that it would be harder to edit. Stacking more stuff at the end of the regular GD3v1 should be painless, older players will stop at the "notes" field, newer players will go on.

And I agree, I'm not sure if we really need track numbers in the GD3, but if Winamp 5 is retarded we have to find workarounds, I guess :|
Also known as nineko.
  • ValleyBell Offline

Post by ValleyBell »

If nothings helps, I can still reinsert (+ improve) the code that searches for an m3u-file in the vgm's directory and tries to guess the track number from there.

But then I'll make an option to turn that on/off, because that's unnecessary work if you don't need it at all.

Post by Kaminari »

Winamp 5 definitely doesn't sort automatically entries in the playlist. I don't know where this option comes from.
  • dissident93 Offline

Post by dissident93 »

Sort them in the order the playlist has them in? If so, I can confirm it HAS done it before, but now it goes alphabetical.
  • ValleyBell Offline

Post by ValleyBell »

I tried to find that option in Winamp 5.61 and got this:

In the Preferences dialogue, under General Preferences -> Playlist, there is an option "When loading multiple files, sort files by name".
Turn it off, if it is on.

I don't know if it helps. Turning the option on did nothing for me.
  • dissident93 Offline

Post by dissident93 »

Well I asked some people who use VGM and they say they have them in the order the playlist lists them in. They have Winamp 5 and the latest version of the plugin. I wonder what I did. hmmmm

and that options was unchecked, and I checked it and still nothing.
  • ValleyBell Offline

Post by ValleyBell »

Well, then upload your Winamp.ini.
In Windows 7 it's located in %appdata%\Roaming\Winamp\.

I'll compare it with mine and will try to find the option that causes the problem.
Which version of Winamp are you using exactly, btw?
  • dissident93 Offline

Post by dissident93 »

Winamp 5.623

http://www.mediafire.com/?ojo9p10p9dj23on (I didn't want to use the FTP for this.)