Skip to content

How to play GBS2GB on MESS-vgm?

Also, how to log via MESS-vgm?

Technical discussion about the VGM format, and all the software you need to handle VGM files.

Moderator: Staff

• neologix Offline

How to play GBS2GB on MESS-vgm?

Post by neologix »

There's a tool, GBS2GB that converts .gbs files to .gb files that can be run in normal Game Boy emulators or even on a Game Boy itself. I've run a Link's Awakening .gbs thru it and the resulting .gb runs in gambatte-qt, but not in the modified MESS for logging.

How do I get MESS to run this "game" and how do I log VGMs from it? I believe using GBS2GB on .gbs files would greatly simplify the work we'd have to do to expand the Game Boy section of this site.
Last edited by neologix on 2012-05-19, 21:28:19, edited 1 time in total.

Post by Sonic of 8! »

MESS logs automatically the VGM files. It puts in the same directory as messui.exe is. If not appears, go to gameboy.ini (or the name of clone), go to the vgmwrite line, edit them and put "1" instead of 0. If not works, try to do this in mess.ini.
Last edited by Sonic of 8! on 2012-05-19, 22:34:24, edited 1 time in total.
オモいカルチャーをオモチャーと言う - 細野晴臣
  • neologix Offline

Post by neologix »

ok, i got the converted thing to run in mess-vgm! basically, procedure is get mess to the point where it can run gameboy games like normal, then put the converted file into the folder you point to as your gameboy folder and it will show up in the refreshed view.

seems to involve various bios files that i apparently didn't have before, but do now.

Post by Sonic of 8! »

Game Boy Light and GB Pocket don't use BIOS, so you can play them without seeing the Nintendo logo like in Original DMG, GBC and SGB.
オモいカルチャーをオモチャーと言う - 細野晴臣
  • Tom Offline
  • Ragequit Member
    Ragequit Member

Post by Tom »

I bet that most (all?) the GB packs on this site were made with gbs2gb conversions. I know my ones were. Yes, it's a nice useful tool which can speed up the process quite a bit. I wonder if there is a similar converter for NSF files...
Also known as nineko.

Post by Sonic of 8! »

Tom wrote:I wonder if there is a similar converter for NSF files...
You mean a NSF back to a ROM file right? There is a converter, but its need to knowing some MML language.

www.average.truechiptilldeath.com/nesdev/nsf2nes.rar
オモいカルチャーをオモチャーと言う - 細野晴臣
  • neologix Offline

Post by neologix »

there seems to be some pitch discrepancies and i don't know if it's mess, vgmplay's code, or the fact that the vgm is logged from a gbs2gb converted file. anyone come across this? i can't tell which channel it's on, either, so i can't narrow it down, sorry.

w7 x64 home premium, using the default audio settings that came w/the mess DL that valleybell posted on this site somewhere.
Last edited by neologix on 2012-05-20, 2:19:56, edited 1 time in total.
  • Tom Offline
  • Ragequit Member
    Ragequit Member

Post by Tom »

Don't worry. It's mess. It sounds like crap while you're recording it but it's fine once you replay the logged vgm.
Also known as nineko.
  • ValleyBell Offline

Post by ValleyBell »

Yeah, it doesn't sound very good in MESS.
VGMPlay uses MESS' sound core, but I did some accuracy hacks to improve the GB sound quality a lot.
  • neologix Offline

Post by neologix »

ValleyBell wrote:Yeah, it doesn't sound very good in MESS.
VGMPlay uses MESS' sound core, but I did some accuracy hacks to improve the GB sound quality a lot.
mess is fine for consistency and whatever you did to vgmplay certainly sounds better than mess, but eventually for accuracy you may want to consider gambatte's gbsound core.