Skip to content

Suggestion: make a topic with info about VGM players

If you're experiencing problems with the website (packs pages/forum/wiki) or you would like to suggest something, you can post here.

Moderator: Staff

• Sik Offline
  • Not a musician
    Not a musician

Suggestion: make a topic with info about VGM players

Post by Sik »

Quick suggestion: what about having a sticky topic that details what programs/plug-ins can be used to play VGM files? (ideally with links and VGM version support if possible) Can be useful for those who still don't have one, or people who do but they want something that supports a newer VGM version.
  • Tom Offline
  • Ragequit Member
    Ragequit Member

Post by Tom »

Yes, this is part of the plan, and it's being taken care of. We're not sure yet if it will be a sticky thread, a series of sticky threads, or even a separate subforum, but it's being discussed.
Also known as nineko.
  • Sik Offline
  • Not a musician
    Not a musician

Post by Sik »

Fair enough.

What I'd like to see:
  • What VGM versions does it support
  • What platforms it runs on (e.g. Windows, Linux, etc.)
  • If it's a plug-in, what programs support it
  • If it has VGZ support or not
  • If any quirks or bugs are known
Basically whatever an user would need to know to determine if a player is good enough or not (without having to download or even try it, so as to not waste time on useless players).
  • Tom Offline
  • Ragequit Member
    Ragequit Member

Post by Tom »

All of these are valid points, thanks for sharing your ideas!

Say, would you like to be part of the Staff?
Also known as nineko.

Post by Sonic of 8! »

I think that section seens to be similar to SMS Power! VGM Players section.
オモいカルチャーをオモチャーと言う - 細野晴臣
  • Tom Offline
  • Ragequit Member
    Ragequit Member

Post by Tom »

Yes, it's a possibility ;)

Another option is to rename the "Let's talk about VGM files" (which was a placeholder name anyway) into "General VGM Discussion and Software", so the software and the technical questions concerning the format can coexist in the same place, which would make sense too. Of course the programs would be into Sticky threads, and there should be a comprehensive FAQ at the top too.

With a separate subforum we would separate the programs from the technical discussion instead, with the risk to duplicate the information and confuse people, but it would be easier to follow updates to programs.

If you have suggestions on the best way to handle this don't be afraid to post them! :)
Also known as nineko.
  • Jacko Offline

Post by Jacko »

I also think its a good idea too. As tom has said rather then making another sub forum probably just rename the one that is there, that way it will make the forum quicker to read. I personally hate forums with too many sub-forums.

I would like to know more information about Linux VGM players myself as I primarily use it at home as my main operating system (I work with Windows server environments all day so its a nice break).

What about a wiki type system for things like this? would that make sense? or just throw in another difficult thing to handle.

Just throwing a few ideas out there :)
  • Tom Offline
  • Ragequit Member
    Ragequit Member

Post by Tom »

Jacko wrote:I personally hate forums with too many sub-forums.
Just wanted to say that I 100% agree with you about this, which is why I'm leaning towards putting everything in the same subforum (and rename it to "General VGM Discussion and Software". Of course programs and tools would be sticky threads (hence why I already gave permission to create sticky threads to the Programmers usergroup, see here, it has always been part of my plan).

However I'm open minded enough to wait for more feedback :)
Also known as nineko.
  • Sik Offline
  • Not a musician
    Not a musician

Post by Sik »

Tom wrote:Say, would you like to be part of the Staff?
What would I have to do?
Sonic of 8! wrote:I think that section seens to be similar to SMS Power! VGM Players section.
Maybe, but now considering all the systems VGM supports (not to mention all the possible custom configurations), it's likely we may end up with people who get here without knowing at all about that, so it's better if we have this information here.
  • Tom Offline
  • Ragequit Member
    Ragequit Member

Post by Tom »

Sik wrote:
Tom wrote:Say, would you like to be part of the Staff?
What would I have to do?
Dunno, it was just a random idea.
Also known as nineko.