Skip to content

VGM Tool Collection

All you need to work with VGMs. Last update: 2022-12-30

Technical discussion about the VGM format, and all the software you need to handle VGM files.

Moderator: Staff

• ValleyBell Offline

Post by ValleyBell »

1) VGMTool2 r5 is the lastest "real" release. neologix made an r6, but that one didn't work with Japanese tags for me.
And btw, I use VGMTool to tag track titles and notes, but I use small bat-files for mass-tagging.

2) Actually, it's just that nobody bothered about it yet.
It shouldn't even be too difficult, but feel like working on it right now. (I'm one person that works on over 10 tools, a VGM player, various emulator mods, vgmrips and some MegaDrive-related things. So that's more than enough work ATM.)

3) I finally updated all the tools.
There were some bugfixes and improvements, mainly related to VGM 1.61 chips.
This time I included all VGM-related tools I made, including vgm_tag, vgm_stat and vgm_ptch.

And there's a new tool, which I made during the last 2 days: vgm_cnt
The VGM Command Counter gives you information about which chips are used, how many commands they get and how many notes are played.
You can use these information to strip unused chips with vgm_ptch.

A note for programmers: I also included the source of optdac and optvgm32, which I never finished. (And I haven't worked on them for almost a year, aside from fixing crashes with newer VGM formats.)
optdac was planned to be like optvgm, but make v1.60 VGMs. Currently it just removes redundant DAC writes.
optvgm32, also unfinished, just takes all PWM writes and turns them into one huge data block that gets streamed by the DAC Stream Control. PWM vgms are the only ones where vgm_dbc is quite effective and gets ratios from sometimes 50% to usually 63% for PCM/PWM data.

Happy ripping!
  • dissident93 Offline

Post by dissident93 »

Well if I could code, I'd defo help out. Maybe make it a potential update for in_vgm, then. (Not now, but in the next few updates.)
  • neologix Offline

Post by neologix »

this release update has spurred me to start prototyping earlier than planned the visuals for the vgmtool update i've been planning! i'll post screenshots once i've recreated existing tabs and will put it on github once the gui is "complete."

@valleybell - how much of vgmtool's functionality is mimicked by command-line tools? vgmtool is a mess of windows-only code (especially in the tagging functions) and i'd rather drop in your multi-platform version of code where possible. also, can you send me the source for your latest vgm2mid wip? this will indeed be the version of vgmtool where i will integrate that into the conversion functionality. also also, at your earliest convenience can you update the vgmspec161 doc to accurately represent what's possible currently? i'll double-check the vgm2txt source to see what discrepancies in documentation are there as well just in case.
Last edited by neologix on 2012-05-24, 0:19:06, edited 1 time in total.

Post by Sonic of 8! »

I logged some VGMs for Fantasy Zone (X68 version), and them don't compress/optimize the OKI data with vgm_sro. OKI6258 not needs (the files got at least 7MB) compress/optimization or it's not supported at time?
オモいカルチャーをオモチャーと言う - 細野晴臣
  • ValleyBell Offline

Post by ValleyBell »

I never had a VGM that's using the OKIM6258 until now. That means, it's not supported.
Also the OKIM6258 gets a data stream from the CPU, like the YM2612's DAC, so I need a seperate tool for that.

Can you please upload the VGM? Thanks.

Post by Sonic of 8! »

Here is the file. The trackname is The Subdued Zone (hopefully, the game has a sound test). Link:

www.depositfiles.com/files/wnajeebyh

Anyway, in future, this pack include:

- Space Harrier Theme (Original), X68000 exclusive stage/track;
- Arranged versions of the musics (including both Hot Snow from JP/US modes);
- Space Harrier Theme (Arranged).

I don't log the musics of Original mode, since is equal to the S16 ones.
Last edited by Sonic of 8! on 2012-05-26, 1:03:45, edited 2 times in total.
オモいカルチャーをオモチャーと言う - 細野晴臣
  • tails_ Offline

Post by tails_ »

I think I found found vgm_trim bug. While trying to trim VGM which used YM3812 changing beginning position to anything different from 0 made some of the channels mute.

Files are here: http://tails.bloodheaven.net/VGMPP/_etc/VGMTools/_wrk/
  • ValleyBell Offline

Post by ValleyBell »

We found the problem - he didn't use my DOSBox mod.
  • bisboch Offline

Post by bisboch »

Hi, as you know I'm absolute beginner here, so I'll post a newbie question:)
I'm trying, as an exercise, to rip a song from Penguin Kun Wars (AC) which uses two AY8910a. the first one deals with SFX, the second with the music.
I don't understand how to strip the first chip and leave the second one. If I use
vgm_ptch -strip:AY8910 xxx.vgm
of course it strips both chips.

Sorry if this is a known issue - I could not find the answer by myself.
thanks.
B.
  • Tom Offline
  • Ragequit Member
    Ragequit Member

Post by Tom »

You have to use vgm_ndlz for that. It will create two vgm files, one for each chip. From there, you'll delete the one that's not of your interest, and work on the other.
Also known as nineko.
  • ValleyBell Offline

Post by ValleyBell »

Note: I moved the two last posts to the correct topic. (from [pack] here)

Tom is right, you need to use vgm_ndlz, if you want to strip only one of the chips.
Sorry, I didn't work on the Strip feature of vgm_ptch a lot.
  • bisboch Offline

Post by bisboch »

Thank you both!
Needless to say it worked great, it's such a powerful tool suite, I only need to figure out which exe does what:)
I'll go on experimenting a bit before submitting the pack and getting your precious feedback.
B.
  • tails_ Offline

Post by tails_ »

I think this is more appropriate place to post stuff so:
http://www.mediafire.com/download.php?69wqar3a0webnqw

I updated my S982 tool
+100% slower on YM2608 (use -noadpcm switch if s98 does not use YM2608's ADPCM channel)
+2 chip support (at least i hope so)
+It now prints program name instead of just printing useless debug info.
+More decent switch parser (even "s982 -sdfhjskgl -dsfgdshfdh file.s98 -dsfdsf -йцукен -noadpcm" will work :U)
~Fixed drag'n'drop, unlike ValleyBell's tools it works even if you drop filename with quotes
~Optimization blahblah fixes blahblah

P.S. Specially for hoot X1 rip i made switch -hootx1 which ignores 2nd YM2151 because X1 don't use it (but it's still in device list)

There's also ssgstrip tool which strips any SSG writes from YM2203\YM2608 chip (might be useful if game don't use SSG channels for music but still sends crapload of writes to 00-0Fh)
Last edited by tails_ on 2012-10-09, 17:04:49, edited 1 time in total.
  • 2ch-H Offline

Post by 2ch-H »

Hope and Friend of Truxton is rhythm change in the state of YM3812,
I want to use vgm_trim remain changes.
First release was the soundtrack of this music.

This VGM sample:
Edit : I deleted the file

This OST sample:
Edit : I deleted the file

Is it possible in vgm_trim?
Last edited by 2ch-H on 2012-11-21, 4:55:25, edited 1 time in total.
  • ValleyBell Offline

Post by ValleyBell »

You're right - there seems to be a bug. It also happens when seeking back, so I need to investigate this.