Skip to content

YM2151 VGMS with DAC Data for Drum Tracks

Technical discussion about the VGM format, and all the software you need to handle VGM files.

Moderator: Staff

• vidpro1 Offline

YM2151 VGMS with DAC Data for Drum Tracks

Post by vidpro1 »

I've been out of the MAME scene for a while and found this group.
I've been using Renoise with VOPM and trying to make cool tunes through
VGM to midi conversion. I've found Yamaha YM3812 conversions work well because
the FM chip has percussion it and the Midi conversion gets the data.
Anyone else wanting DAC support for Yamaha YM2151 chips?
I know this will be hard because there are so many different chips used for drums.
I'm mainly interested in the MC1408 DAC era that was used in Bally/Midway Williams
Arcade and pinball games so I can get drum track data out of the VGM. VGM2MID program would also need to know how to convert that data. Another tool that would be helpful is a VGM sound player options where you can mute or enable each FM chip voice 0-7 on YM2151 while it is playing so you can find out where each .OPM voice file parameter is supposed to go when you are trying to re-contruct an FM music piece by yourself to make it sound exactly like the arcade machine.
  • MaliceX Offline

Post by MaliceX »

There's probably still too many different DAC chips to consider at this stage. I think the last VGM2MID beta build is still largely incomplete with YM2151 support, let alone the various DAC chips currently supported in the VGM spec.

You're probably going to either hang tight, or learn how to decode registers from a VGM using said DAC chip to useful MIDI commands, or otherwise stick to old-fashioned "mute everything else but the DAC channel(s)" and do it by ear, or visually with a sound editor of your choice. :(
-dj.tuBIG/MaliceX