Skip to content

Suggestion: Creation of a VGM Ripping Tutorial

vgmrips exclusive use only

If you're experiencing problems with the website (packs pages/forum/wiki) or you would like to suggest something, you can post here.

Moderator: Staff

Suggestion: Creation of a VGM Ripping Tutorial

Post by Sonic of 8! »

Its one of the things that make this forum complete. Yes, majority follow the SMS Power! VGM Ripping, but it's a good idea to making a tutorial for exclusive use in vgmrips.

ValleyBell's VGM Ripping Guide can be a good a idea, but I prefer a HTML format (and a downloadable version like in P2612).

So, anyone liked this?
Last edited by Sonic of 8! on 2012-01-15, 18:49:45, edited 1 time in total.
オモいカルチャーをオモチャーと言う - 細野晴臣
  • Tom Offline
  • Ragequit Member
    Ragequit Member

Post by Tom »

Yes, it's on the To Do list.
It will be even more useful because there will be some small changes to the pack standard (filenames, screenshots, descriptions...) compared to smspower and project2612.
If there are any points you would like to see covered in detail please feel free to post suggestions.
Also known as nineko.

Post by Sonic of 8! »

I may created one on this Satur"n"day and is in txt format. His design is like the older Walktroughs in GameFAQs.
Last edited by Sonic of 8! on 2012-01-19, 22:10:01, edited 1 time in total.
オモいカルチャーをオモチャーと言う - 細野晴臣
  • ValleyBell Offline

Post by ValleyBell »

The tutorial seems nice so far. (You mention that the only two YMF262 arcade games are already logged - cool. :thumbup:)

Something that's wrong is, that you recommend to send all VGMs with only one SN76489 to SMSPower and VGMs with YM2612 to Project2612. That's not correct, because there are consoles (like FM Towns, although that's actually a computer) that use these chips but are neither Master System nor Mega Drive.

It's nice that you list tricks related to sound logging. In MAME/MESS you should be able to simulate pressing 'Insert' by disabling throttling (F10) and increasing frames kip (F8/F9), btw.

vgm_smp1 is recommend for SN76489 and T6W28 chips, to be exact.

Here some additional things (for contributors in general) that we discussed in the Staff Lounge:
- File naming should be "## Track Title.vgz" (no game name, no additional dashes)
- updated description.txt file (note: date is YYYY-MM-DD)

And a small bonus - to make an m3u-file, copy this line into notepad and save it as MakeList.bat:

Code: Select all

dir *.vg? /B /O:N > List.m3u
Then copy this file into a folder with VGMs and double-click on it to make a perfect playlist file.

Post by Sonic of 8! »

When I mean sends to respective sites, I mean SEGA VDP PSG and Game Gear PSG VGM Packs to be sent to SMSP!, and YM2612 to be sent to P2612, not ones that uses YM3438 (unless its safe by a Mega-Tech/Play game or if the MESS Team put Genesis 2 model in future, because them has YM3438 instead of YM2612 and you need the TMSS Bios file to run). Now, if a Pack contain YM3438 and RF5C68 like FM-Towns Marty, or a System C-2 game that uses UPD7759 on musics (Minato Giken's Zunzunkyou No Yabou seens the only game that uses UPD chip in musics, and has a decent use ;) ), it should be uploaded here.
オモいカルチャーをオモチャーと言う - 細野晴臣

Post by Sonic of 8! »

Also, in a prototype stage, I made e Disclaimer and a Credits section, but I may removed due to be all of the text is made by me, and the document is don't protected by a license like GNU... But I want to put more hints and maybe, a tutorial in how editing VGM files with a Hex Editor (I'll need to learn...).
オモいカルチャーをオモチャーと言う - 細野晴臣
  • Sik Offline
  • Not a musician
    Not a musician

Post by Sik »

Sonic of 8! wrote:When I mean sends to respective sites, I mean SEGA VDP PSG and Game Gear PSG VGM Packs to be sent to SMSP!, and YM2612 to be sent to P2612, not ones that uses YM3438 (unless its safe by a Mega-Tech/Play game or if the MESS Team put Genesis 2 model in future, because them has YM3438 instead of YM2612 and you need the TMSS Bios file to run). Now, if a Pack contain YM3438 and RF5C68 like FM-Towns Marty, or a System C-2 game that uses UPD7759 on musics (Minato Giken's Zunzunkyou No Yabou seens the only game that uses UPD chip in musics, and has a decent use ;) ), it should be uploaded here.
You really should just use the system and not the hardware setup to determine that. There's always the chance there's some unrelated system that happens to match the same setup (SN76489(A) alone is very likely to pop up, for instance, even though that matches the SG-1000 series and FM-less Master System).

Post by Sonic of 8! »

I may also updated my tutorial. Remember that this tutorial is a basis for a HTML version (unless if more than Over 9.000 people likes and I make one in MSOffice Publisher).
Last edited by Sonic of 8! on 2012-01-19, 22:09:04, edited 1 time in total.
オモいカルチャーをオモチャーと言う - 細野晴臣

Post by Sonic of 8! »

Small update to the tutorial, a note about MAME cheat files and info in history.dat. Also, I may get inactive for a long period, because Satur"n"day I ran out of credits on my mobile phone, and I don't have money.

Link

www.depositfiles.com/files/40yfb3b55