Skip to content

VGMPlay / in_vgm

Last update: 2023-12-31 (v0.51.1)

Technical discussion about the VGM format, and all the software you need to handle VGM files.

Moderator: Staff

• ValleyBell Offline

Post by ValleyBell »

neologix wrote:I'd wager that if supporting Winamp versions of VGM playback becomes non-viable we'd favor Foobar2000 and/or one of the Linux players like Audacious or DeaDBeeF.
Link me to an SDK and maybe we can talk. (I don't have any clue about windows under Linux and don't have lots of time though.)

Anyway, I won't drop in_vgm just because they stopped to develop Winamp. (I currently have in_vgm installed in Winamp 2.24, btw.)
Even if you should decide to not use Winamp anymore, in_vgm should work with everything that supports Winamp plugins in one of another way. (like XMPlay, which I recently use to test in_vgm, btw)

Post by Kaminari »

Darren Owen confirmed he will not drop the Winamp SDK and plugin support.
  • neologix Offline

Post by neologix »

I'm actually going to contact kode54 about foo_gep.
  • Bladeforce Offline

Post by Bladeforce »

Hi,

I have recently compile vgmplay to work in linux and it does work thank you for that! May i ask how i get around a little problem with it though. I have a folder of vgm rips when i d/click one it runs fine but when i d/click a different one all it does is play both at once. How can i stop that so only 1 instance runs the selected file please?

Many thanks
  • ValleyBell Offline

Post by ValleyBell »

With how VGMPlay works currently it doesn't know if there is already 1 instance of it or not.
Sorry, but currently there is no way to solve your problem. (Additionally I use different blocks of code for playing a single file and playing a playlist, so I'd need to fix that first.)
  • MaliceX Offline

Post by MaliceX »

neologix wrote:I'm actually going to contact kode54 about foo_gep.
irc.esper.net/#ducks wrote:[18:47] <MaliceX> kode54: for foo_gme what are you using as a reference for .vgm playback support?
[18:48] <MaliceX> since winamp is being retired, in_vgm (currently v0.40.4) may be less preferable for those who don't use XMplay or do not want to keep on using ancient winamp.
[19:03] <kode54> I’ve been using vgmplay, for the most part
ValleyBell: Is the .vgm file format spec for v1.70 "locked down" so to speak? I think that may be what's stopping playback support for .vgm's above v1.61.
-dj.tuBIG/MaliceX
  • ValleyBell Offline

Post by ValleyBell »

No, I just don't post the VGM spec. separately. The source code of VGMPlay always includes it.

Post by Sonic of 8! »

For some unknown reason, some GB games has silence when playing into in_vgm. Follow a list:

Donkey Kong (the one that is based into the 1981 arcade game);
Dr. Mario;
Famista 3;
Frisky Tom

I was tried to log with NEZPlay in both pure GBS and GBS2GB formats. It didn't solve nothing. Maybe is each sound engine for these games?
オモいカルチャーをオモチャーと言う - 細野晴臣
  • muteKi Offline

Post by muteKi »

GB Kid Dracula has the same issue, it turns out. Ripping the VGMs in nezplug++ produces files that apparently have data in them but are completely silent. I can post the rips I made if it'd help.
  • MaliceX Offline

Post by MaliceX »

CURRENT VERSION HERE

-- original post --
I got bored and modified the current build of VGMPlay (0.40.4) to use inpout32.dll (32/64-bit-compatible; DOSBOX SVN-DAUM supports OPL passthrough too in the same fashion) for handling the hardware OPL passthrough feature.

Reasons for this:
  • PortTalk is outdated
  • PortTalk does not work under 64-bit Windows
  • Soundcards such as the C-Media CMI8738 have unofficial x64 drivers (google it), and therefore a hardware OPL3 implementation for 64-bit windows exists.
  • PortTalk's redistribution license is draconian and closed-source, while InpOut32.dll is open source.
  • No extra installation steps required with inpout32
EDIT: whoops. forgot to set release build to target platform v110_xp
EDIT2: changed IDE to MSVC6 to keep win2k users happy.

I'll leave this link here and leave it to ValleyBell for drawing any thoughts. Most traces of PortTalk have been commented out or removed.
IDE: Visual Studio 2012 MSVC6

ValleyBell: The project code seems to have a lot of issues running as a Debug build, namely the strictness of exception handling when dealing with uninitialized variables during hardware playback. This is fine as a Release build however.
Last edited by MaliceX on 2015-08-13, 16:16:35, edited 4 times in total.
-dj.tuBIG/MaliceX
  • MaliceX Offline

Post by MaliceX »

Just a spam post to say that after some tweaking around, I managed to get VGMPlay to work on my Surface RT (Currently only for Jailbroken WinRT 8.0) without too much effort (aside the workarounds required to compile user-mode ARM desktop applications)

Notes:
zlib linkable binaries for WinRT here: http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthr ... ?t=2113684
Need to #define DISABLE_HW_SUPPORT
On parts involving _inp() and _outp() or PortTalk/InpOut32, they need to be disabled.

A screenshot of the app running, while observing CPU usage.

Last edited by MaliceX on 2013-12-22, 10:47:45, edited 4 times in total.
-dj.tuBIG/MaliceX
  • 2ch-H Offline

Post by 2ch-H »

DPCM sound of the first missing(NSF + NSFPlayer even have occurred).

This VGM sample, Ikari III - Opening:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/wx1d2mxf6o54z43/ikari3_op.7z
Second time is played correctly.

This occurs only at the beginning in the game.
Last edited by 2ch-H on 2014-01-24, 3:09:34, edited 1 time in total.

Post by GTheGuardian »

Asura Buster (YMF278B) seems to have some clicks occuring from YMF278B Channel 6.
Wondering if this is problem with the log itself, since such clicks doesn't occur in MAME.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/cwcdi0rzfrcal ... testlog.7z

Post by Sonic of 8! »

RichterEX2 wrote:Kinda related to in_vgm, but Winamp will be discontinued on December 20th according to Slashdot. The site, and the download links to it will be gone.

http://tech.slashdot.org/story/13/11/20 ... ecember-20

So what happens now?
Do not worry about it anymore. Radionomy (a service that host online radio stations) was purchased Winamp and Shoutcast, so, all problems about it (seems) to be gone.

http://www.pcworld.com/article/2087504/ ... onomy.html
オモいカルチャーをオモチャーと言う - 細野晴臣
  • Despatche Offline

Post by Despatche »

Hi. Mega Turrican (that is, the rip published on P2612) now behaves strangely, at least of v0.40.4 versus regular old v0.40. Track 5 (tagged "Stage 1 (Secret Area)") seems to have some instruments in another time zone. It doesn't seem to happen to any other, even though it sounds like it should, so it might just be that one dump idk.
Last edited by Despatche on 2014-01-17, 20:45:55, edited 1 time in total.