Skip to content

Available on-line games databases

Containing game info

Technical discussion which is not directly related to VGM files. Talk about Hardware and Software.

Moderator: Staff

Available on-line games databases

Post by vampirefrog »

I've moved this info in the wiki: Databases

Hello again!

I'm now trying to find game databases that contain info about the games in our database. I am only focusing on our own games for now.

There are a few large databases, such as mobygames, and there are smaller, more specific databases. For example, the mame db contains info about arcade systems, game boy database has info about game boy games and so on.

The practical goal is twofold:

1. To have web links for each pack, that lead to pages with details about the game. Each pack can have several links, as the game can be in several databases or sites.
2. To retrieve info about the game for each pack, and fill our local DB with correct and complete info about each game. As it is right now, I consider some data to be incomplete, in a confusing format, or missing.

So if you guys know some good databases, either general or specific to a system, but with good quality data, please reply and I will add them to this table.

To see the systems that we need info for, visit http://vgm.mdscene.net/packs/systems

Listing:

SiteSearchAPIOfflineInfo
mobygamesYesLarge, general DB
giantbombYesYesLarge, general DB
gbdbNoNoSeems fan-made but it looks alright
mamedbYesArcade
PCEngine Catalog ProjectYesOld-school
PC Engine Software BibleNoPC Engine listings
thegamesdbYesYesLarge, general DB
Arcade HistoryYesYesYesBig Arcade MAME DB
Generation-MSXYesDeals with MSX stuff
Hall of LightYesDeals with Amiga games
gamesdbaseYeslooks like a large DB, contains some rare games
8-bitsYesJapanese PC-8801/SR, MSX/2/2+/R,X68000 database
mercenary forceNoNoMany systems
X68000 catalogNoNoYesReduced version of mercenary force's X68000 catalog
shmup.comYesDeals with Shoot-em-ups for many systems, in french
arcade museumYesarcade games
GameFAQsYes
World of SpectrumYesSpectrum games + downloads
  • dissident93 Offline

Post by dissident93 »

Arcade History has a lot of credits for arcade games, among other relevant info (however I think most of it can be found on other sites.)

Post by Rotating Username »

the data hosted at Progetto Emma is the closest thing there is to a MAWs successor, so it has a fair bit of extra info not found at mamedb. With search tools-->advanced search, you can even search by CPU (as as their type/use and clock speed), which is a crude but relatively efficient way of finding arcade titles that use the same audio hardware. They also have a database of MESS-relevant software, although it hasn't been updated as a year (I think?) and isn't as useful as their MAME data (which is understandable, given the scope and staggered progress of the MESS project).

GameFAQs actually has a lot of stuff you won't find on other sites (such as mobile games or adult titles), even if it isn't quite as directly useful as something like Mobygames. However, most of the stuff relevant to the VGM format is already covered elsewhere, and there are some occasional large gaps (generally with Japanese computers or obscure stuff like the Gamate or Mega Duck).

The database at Generation MSX is in a nice chunk of info in a format similar to the Hall of Light.

Post by vampirefrog »

These are very good, guys! Thanks!

At a later stage I'll try contacting some of these sites for a way to mass-link our games to theirs. That is why I wanted an API or an offline DB, like History.dat for example. I want to have as many links as possible to as many sites as possible, so later we may reduce and remove those we don't need.

Post by vampirefrog »

Are you guys aware of any Sharp X68000 game database / library? I found some games in this pack that I am having trouble finding pertinent info on, such as ChaChaCha and others.
  • 2ch-H Offline

Post by 2ch-H »

8BITS Retro game database site (Japanese language only)
http://www.8-bits.info/
There is this site is PC-8801/SR, MSX/2/2+/R,X68000 database.
Last edited by 2ch-H on 2014-04-21, 0:36:28, edited 2 times in total.
  • 2ch-H Offline

Post by 2ch-H »

GAME DATABASE
http://mercenaryforce.web.fc2.com/
There is a database of various games.

Post by vampirefrog »

Thank you 2ch-H! Please post more databases if you can find them. I have no way of finding the japanese databases.

I've also obtained this database from a friend (hosted on my server): http://evo.grigoriada.net/x68kcatalog/x ... 0_Eng.html

UPDATE: I've taken a look at "GAME DATABASE" and it looks like their X68000 section is very similar to the link above, but more complete! Great!

Post by Sonic of 8! »

Adventure Island is a Japanese website that has some database and walkthroughs for (mostly) Famicom (including Disk System) games, as well SuFami and Nintendo DS. They also has a section to download save files for Japanese NDS and PSP games too, as well some info for earlier Xbox 360 titles (up to 2008). Is too bad that the site is quite outdated (2012-04)...

GDR (GAME Data Room) is a Japanese website that has a list of releases for older videogames. It covers various systems, even the ones that dosen't make a hit on Japan (e.g.: Xbox and Atari Lynx). It seems that a section of releases for Japanese PCs was coming soon, but the site didn't has any updates since 2010-02.
オモいカルチャーをオモチャーと言う - 細野晴臣

Post by vampirefrog »

Thank you Sonic of 8! Can you figure out if these sites have an API and if they have a full download link please?

Re: Available on-line games databases

Post by Sonic of 8! »

Sorry for the late response.

I didn't know if they have an API (I cannot understand the full japanese language), but you can Ctrl+S these pages, because they are pure HTML :)
オモいカルチャーをオモチャーと言う - 細野晴臣