Skip to content

chat box thread

post feature requests and bugs here

If you're experiencing problems with the website (packs pages/forum/wiki) or you would like to suggest something, you can post here.

Moderator: Staff

chat box thread

Post by vampirefrog »

Guys, if you have some issues with the chat box or would like to request a feature, post it in this thread. Repeat: POST HERE, NOT IN THE CHATBOX. IT IS ONLY FOR SMALL TALK. POST HERE IF YOU WANT ME TO PAY ATTENTION TO YOUR REQUESTS.

To see the js source code for the chat box, see https://github.com/vampirefrog/nodechat

Though I think I made some modifications from the github repo

Post by vampirefrog »

I've removed the auto focus feature, so the chat box doesn't auto focus.
  • neologix Offline

Post by neologix »

Can the chat box have some sort of toggle (possibly cookie-based) of displaying inline timestamps instead of simply relegating them to tooltips?

Post by vampirefrog »

Sure. I'll add an options dialog, and also make it resizable. Not sure when, though.

Post by Rotating Username »

Would it be possible to make it so that logging-in as "hidden" causes the chat box to not load at all?

Post by vampirefrog »

Rotating Username wrote:Would it be possible to make it so that logging-in as "hidden" causes the chat box to not load at all?
Sure, but you must know that the chat box does not give your presence away unless you type something. There is no join or part message when someone logs in or out. But ok, I'll add that feature.
  • zzo38 Offline

Post by zzo38 »

How do I get rid of the chat box?
  • zzo38 Offline

Post by zzo38 »

Nevermind I fixed it by adding two items into a content-policy management:
  • domain="vgm.mdscene.net" condition (/nodechat/(l)) block type STYLESHEET
  • domain="vgm.mdscene.net" condition (/nodechat/(l)) block type SCRIPT
  • ValleyBell Offline

Post by ValleyBell »

vampirefrog, I have a small TODO list for you:
  • fix the maximum string length for the chatbox (current limit is 256 characters it seems, something above of 400 should be safe)
  • look into the issue where the chatbox shows incorrect message posting times (seems to be a timezone issue that pops up randomly)

Post by vampirefrog »

I've fixed the max length issue, that was a database problem, but I'm not going to bother with the timestamp issue, since I've already fixed it in the new chatbox implementation:

http://vgm.mdscene.net/chat/chat2.php

I'll replace the current chatbox with the new one at some point. It has a few features that have been requested earlier, like the ability to hide it completely. And now it has sounds too. We can find some better sounds too.

Post by vampirefrog »

I've replaced the old chatbox with the new one. This one features chat sounds and visible timestamps.

I'm planning on making it resizable at some point, and maybe into a pop-out.

Post by vampirefrog »

Made chatbox resizable (try dragging top left corner).
Fixed 'expired session' bug, hopefully.
Added some styling to its titlebar and scrollbars.

Also, for those wishing to get rid of the chat box, press the "X" button. If you want to see it again, click on 'Chatbox' in the forum header, next to the logout and messages links. If you can't see a 'Chatbox' link, please let me know.
  • mixmaster Offline

Post by mixmaster »

vampirefrog wrote: Fixed 'expired session' bug, hopefully.
Nope.

Also chat box never shows on iPad safari browser.

Post by vampirefrog »

Try clicking on 'chatbox' in the forum navbar, that should make it show up. Other than that, I can't fix it since I don't have an ipad to test.

Post by vampirefrog »

I've added an option "Scroll to bottom on new message" which makes it easier to scroll through the chat history if it's unchecked. If it's checked, it will scroll to the bottom, showing you the latest reply.