Skip to content

Are PSX or PC gamerips allowed?

Technical discussion which is not directly related to VGM files. Talk about Hardware and Software.

Moderator: Staff

Are PSX or PC gamerips allowed?

Post by Jz_lsd_snoopy-0204 »

Hi all! pleasure to be a new member of this community! :D

I have a question, are PSX or PC gamerips allowed here? I'm not sure if there are ways to rip PSX/PC music in VGM format, could you guys help me to clear that out?
  • MusicFox Offline

Post by MusicFox »

No, sorry. VGM only captures PSG and FM data. There are some digital formats that are supported, but not for PlayStation or PC. Your best bet is to look for PSF rips of the games you want.

Ok, thanks for answering MusicFox, I see there is a collection of NES rips, are all of them in VGM? or are there some exceptions?
  • ctr Offline

Post by ctr »

You can rip PC games that use the Adlib or SB16 FM synths (YM3812 OPL2 and YMF262 OPL3).

All the rips here are in the VGM format. We do not have PSX rips but other sites do (in the .PSF format).

Ok ctr, I'll take that into account, thanks.
  • drdevil Offline

Post by drdevil »

Are there any plans to implement the PSX's chip in the VGM format? I'm guessing it shouldn't be too hard if we already support C352, MultiPCM, etc.
I'm HarmoDevil. Formerly Dr Devil, but I still use the drdevil username here.

Check out my Soundcloud.

I might get back to VGM ripping someday.
  • ctr Offline

Post by ctr »

It's technically possible, but we haven't considered it since the PSF format exists. While there are a few games which do not have PSF (or XA) rips, it is not enough for us to consider adding support in VGM yet. Also, pretty much every game uses dynamic channel allocation...
  • 2ch-H Offline

Post by 2ch-H »

PSX is also SPU format.

Sample SPU PSX Raiden DX.
http://www.mediafire.com/download/cxnc2 ... IDEN+DX.7z
I'm not ripping only ORIGINAL mode(I was ripping is NEW RELEASE and VIPER PHASE 1).

SPU will listen in the Eternal SPU Player(Please put the Eternal SPU Plugin to plugins folder).

foobar2000 of "foo_input_spu components" in not correctly play(Because the format of the SPU old).