Skip to content

Portable Music History

Talk about whatever you want. General forum rules still apply.

Moderator: Staff

• Knurek Offline

Portable Music History

Post by Knurek »

This might be of some interest to people here - doesn't concern VGM format yet, as the site uses emulated, not logged formats where possible, but it's VGM related. :)

Well, Portable Music History just went public beta.

So far there are two sets available for download, with new ones added every 6 hours. For the next few weeks there should be only Game Boy rips there, but once we reach October of 1990 (in about 100 games), Game Gear ones will start showing up too.

All sets will be fully timed, and when possible tagged as well - feel free to provide tagging data for those that aren't though.

Please make sure to share your thoughts or questions here - the site is still missing some functionality (like better integration with SNESMusic.org, RSS feed for updates/new sets, search function), but should be fully usable nevertheless.

Post by Sonic of 8! »

GG music should be in VGM, SGC or KSS format?
オモいカルチャーをオモチャーと言う - 細野晴臣
  • Knurek Offline

Post by Knurek »

Sonic of 8! wrote:GG music should be in VGM, SGC or KSS format?
I'll try to use emulated formats where possible, so the order of preference is as follows: SGC, KSS, VGM. Not that there's anything wrong with VGM per se, just a question of consistency, since both Game Boy, Wonderswan, GB Advance and NDS have working emulated formats.

Post by Sonic of 8! »

@Knurek: Why you not publish some NGPC packs here? The NGPC section still small for most of one year...
  • zzo38 Offline

Post by zzo38 »

Formats with CPU emulation could be logged to VGM, so you could use other format if you want and convert to VGM afterward, too, if you like to.

However, not all the same chips are supported in such thing as NSF than VGM (currently, only 2A03 and AY-3-8910 are in common).

GameBoy supports cartridge audio too like Famicom does, but apparently no games use it.
  • Knurek Offline

Post by Knurek »

Sonic of 8! wrote:@Knurek: Why you not publish some NGPC packs here? The NGPC section still small for most of one year...
They are untagged, so not really ready for release.
I did make a thread with some of the packs, rest should be available on pmh shortly.

Post by Sonic of 8! »

Knurek wrote: They are untagged, so not really ready for release.
I did make a thread with some of the packs, rest should be available on pmh shortly.
But you can even publish without tagging. Only marks the in the txt file as 0.90. :)

Post by Sonic of 8! »

Knurek wrote: They are untagged, so not really ready for release.
But you can even publish without tagging. Only marks the in the txt file as 0.90. :)
  • Knurek Offline

Post by Knurek »

Sonic of 8! wrote:But you can even publish without tagging. Only marks the in the txt file as 0.90. :)
Feel free to do so, I won't mind at all.
Just don't have the time to do so myself.

Post by Sonic of 8! »

Okay, I'll repack them and I credit you as Ripper (and me as tagger / packager). :D