Skip to content

Need help ripping sfiii3rd strike (non vgm format)

Technical discussion which is not directly related to VGM files. Talk about Hardware and Software.

Moderator: Staff

• ctr Offline

Post by ctr »

insertnamehere wrote:it works fine, and sorry if i may seem picky, but i asked for an expression that shows what is accessing 06794cf0...
I just copy pasted the commands I have. You already know how to change the offsets, so what's the matter :P
insertnamehere wrote:just wanted to see how the songs are separated in the memory viewer, but maybe, is the game is reading from somewhere the start and end address, and using those to locate the song.
I already told you the location of the song table. The song table contains pointers to each song header, which in turn contains pointers to each channel's sequence. See my earlier posts. The end of each channel is marked by a command in the channel sequence.

Post by insertnamehere »

ah, ok...
the command was asked just out of curiosity...

and for the end song thing, i forgot...

so, for the important stuff(finally, sorry it took so long), the song position commands...

(i feel like this is going to be complicated).

i will try to screw around with the effects, but dont count on me too much for that...
maybe with the help of some xm configurations...
(those links below are just for reference)
http://aluigi.altervista.org/mymusic/xm.txt
https://github.com/lclevy/unmo3/blob/ma ... ec/mod.txt

its early night for me now, maybe i can find something about those commands tomorrow...

meanwhile, i will give pgm2xm's source code(and maybe some other something2xm tools) a quick look time to time, to have a framework later on...

Post by insertnamehere »

just a quick post.
Well, the song structure is very basic, there are no parts that play only once, and there is not a command that jumps from patter to pattern...
so, maybe that command that defines the end of the song, is also used to define the loop, but i haven't look into that, and maybe what im saying its obvious...
also, i had some watchpoints, and sometimes, they would just activate 2 times, but they would activate again only when the song loops.
i would post a video about it, but i have no time..
  • ctr Offline

Post by ctr »

Yes, glad to see you're making progress.

The song structure is pretty simple (it's originally based/generated from MIDI files i think, so no concept of patterns). There are probably commands to repeat blocks of data (but that block doesn't have to be exactly a measure or whatever), and there is a command to set the loop point. If you look at the memory while a song is playing, you should be able to identify the loop address for each channel, it is usually a few bytes after the beginning of the channel sequence. The loop command would obviously precede that offset.

Post by insertnamehere »

thanks, i should have just stuck with what works...

also, is ok to ask if i can modify pgm2xm so that is 3rdstrike compatible, when the sound format is fully understood?

Edit: so, for song 1 is there, maybe, cant test this with cheat engine, because it doesnt seem to interact with the song data, so this is only a guess.
i dunno 2.JPG
i will try artmoney, but feels like avast sees it as a virus.
  • ctr Offline

Post by ctr »

You're free to modify pgm2xm as you want, although I would say it wouldn't be the best option. I suggest you modify one of Valley Bell's MIDI converters instead. The thing is that the PGM sound format is basically just compressed MOD files (all the MOD effects are already there). The CPS3 sound format isn't really close to a tracker module format at all.

Post by insertnamehere »

ah, ok, i will ask valleybell about it.
the reason i wanted to use a ripper that saves in xm format, because openmpt does not have a fully supported midi/soundfont support, but if it loads fine in lmms/flstudio, im happy.

i need to make a correction to my post where i said that there is no one-off intros, as i forgot about necro and akuma's theme, where there are one-off intros...
is just that the majority of the songs are simple, and i forgot about those songs because.. i dont know.
here is a video about it.
i will look into that, but dont count on me too much...
but this time, i feel like i can find something interesting.

i also have a silly(and possibly pointless or obvious) question about effects, but c7 7f works as a panning command even if c7 is substituted by c2?
is the 7 in c7 considered part of the parameter of the effect, or part of the definition of the effect itself?

because i found a sequence of c2, and i cant explain this.
cant explain this.JPG
cant explain this.JPG (11.14 KiB) Viewed 10958 times
the bc is a note velocity, the c7 here is the pan, but there are just a bunch of commands that i cant explain...
  • ctr Offline

Post by ctr »

insertnamehere wrote:is the 7 in c7 considered part of the parameter of the effect, or part of the definition of the effect itself?
c0-ff sets the command itself. so the 7 is required to make it a "pan" command instead of a "set channel volume" command or whatever.
insertnamehere wrote: because i found a sequence of c2, and i cant explain this.
cant explain this.JPG
the bc is a note velocity, the c7 here is the pan, but there are just a bunch of commands that i cant explain...
so, the c1 command just sets tempo, the following two bytes is the tempo (my guess has been 16th notes per minute, but can't say for sure).
c2 takes a single byte as argument and the following 01 is probably a very short rest. I don't know what that command does yet.
c4 sets instrument number. c6 and c8 sets channel volume (multiply the values of commands c6, c8, the note velocity and the envelope generator to get the actual channel volume).
c7 to set pan as you know, then a short rest again (01) and finally a note (which follows the velocity)

If you don't understand what a command does, just ignore it for now. as you collect more data it will probably make sense over time. Some commands may take one or two bytes (or maybe even more) as arguments, just keep that in mind.

Post by insertnamehere »

i found interesting this command: d4 00 ff.
i dunno 3.JPG
i dunno 3.JPG (11.02 KiB) Viewed 10938 times
i found a couple of them, and i think this is the channel separator, but maybe you figured it out already...
i also found this after a d4 00 ff from the previous song, that is followed by a 00, and its at the start of akuma's theme.
i dunno 4.JPG
maybe you have already an explaination of this too...
but that 21 is not anticipated by any velocity command, and its weird.

Post by insertnamehere »

i have now made(and fixed) a note finder, and im announcing this just because i want to keep alive this thread.

and i hope this is not breaking the "do not revive long dead threads" rule.

Street Fighter III music series (CPS-III)

Post by DRAGONUNKNOWN »

Since you was working on the music of "Street Fighter III: 3rd Strike", I was wondering if you was working on "Street Fighter III: New Generation" and "Street Fighter III: 2nd Impact" music. I was told that it's not a VGM formatted support, which I can hardly believed it since I played all the games on the MAME and heard some channels cut out when I pressed a key to "insert coin". I know that it's impossible to do that since it's a CPS-III and it irks me to keep asking about the Street Fighter III series. I really wanted all the music of Street Fighter III series to be on the list to download the music file to isolate channels, like the previous Street Fighter series. I think couple months back I saw your video file with the Jazzy NYC '99 drum sample, and it got me excited to hear that by itself. But since you were working on the CPS-III music for your personal project, which I heard and I don't know which game that is from since I'm only familiar with Street Fighter III series on the CPS-III. I know I'm just rambling about it, but I am hoping and praying that you can actually get all the music of Street Fighter III series on the list so that we can listen to the instruments alone, like the bass and drums (which is my favorite). Hoping that one day, it will come to light. But other than that, you have a nice day.
Attachments
sfiii.png
sfiii.png (13.69 KiB) Viewed 10567 times
sfiii2.png
sfiii2.png (11.07 KiB) Viewed 10567 times
sfiii3.png
sfiii3.png (27.96 KiB) Viewed 10567 times

Post by MixerProductions »

I second DRAGONUNKNOWN's post. This series has amazing music.

It would make it alot easier to remix the soundtracks if we could hear the channels isolated. I hope it's possible one day!

Post by insertnamehere »

I think im gonna (try to) do all of the cps3 games (so the entire sf3 series, jojo, and warzard), but first of all, i wanted to finish sfiii3, and development was in a "slight" stalemate (because im (at least a bit) lazy)

i need to get back on track

EDIT:here it is, sfiii3 ripped, but, when clicking this, remember that these are not perfect, these still have problems (even if minor ones), and the ripper is still in deveopment, i plan to finish it in the end of this summer
https://bit.ly/2Lh1phV

Post by insertnamehere »

Here i have made a sightly better rip, here.
now the loop points fully work (not tested on all of the songs)

im only missing the vibrato, and the instrument volume envelopes (or ADSR)

Post by insertnamehere »

it was a long time, but i now remembered that i haven't posted my most recent cps3 music rips...
i'm gonna post this on gdrive, and everytime i upload a newer version, the link will be the same, and i do not to make new posts everytime i update it...
link

EDIT: i'm trying to fix the mixing a little bit, because some instruments are too loud or too silent

also, no, i did not implement vibrato yet...