Skip to content

Is there any tool to dump FM tone data from VGMs to MML?

Technical discussion which is not directly related to VGM files. Talk about Hardware and Software.

Moderator: Staff

• Dekyo-NO Offline

Is there any tool to dump FM tone data from VGMs to MML?

Post by Dekyo-NO »

Hi everyone,

I have been looking for a tool that allows me to extract FM tone data contained in VGM packs, to MML data for compilers such as PMD, FMPv4 or FMP7, although if they are for FMPv4 they are easy to make compatible for FMP7.

I'm sure that many will recommend me to change from MML to trackers, but the answer is no. I'm a screen reader user, and therefore it's not worth trying to use trackers. All they do is cause me a headache.

I can try to make tone data for PMD/FMP using YM2608 Tone Editor, although I'm not good enough using FM sound generators. But it's fun.

Any suggestions?

Thanks.

PS: Sorry for my bad English.
  • ctr Offline

Post by ctr »

You can do it with MDPlayer. Simply bring up a chip information window and then click on the parameters for the channel you want to copy and it will be placed in the clipboard, where you can paste it. (Edit: I'm not sure if MDPlayer will work well with screen readers... Sorry)

You can set the format of the copied data in Options (the wrench button) > Other. It supports a few formats like MML2VGM (default), FMP7, MDX, TFI (saves as file), etc.
  • Dekyo-NO Offline

Post by Dekyo-NO »

Well, MDPlayer is usable only for play. I can't access to the information for voice parameters.
  • Shywolf Offline

Post by Shywolf »

Possibly vgm2opm will be useful for you. Though it won't convert directly to PMD/FMP/etc format, it nonetheless is meant to pull 4-op FM patches out of VGM files, which you can then convert yourself to your desired MML-based format.
  • Dekyo-NO Offline

Post by Dekyo-NO »

I don't know how to compile C programs when they require external libraries and the like. I tried to compile myself, but compilation always fails and the .exe file does not come out.

Post by vampirefrog »

My version (the one linked above) of vgm2opm is still in progress, but I can't find a link to Shiru's original vgm2opm to link you to. There is a collection of .OPM files floating around for all the Project2612 sets. Here are some links that might help:

https://www.kvraudio.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=277864
http://truechiptilldeath.com/blog/2010/ ... nt-page-1/
  • Dekyo-NO Offline

Post by Dekyo-NO »

@vampirefrog Thanks for the links! Indeed were useful. But now, another question.
How to "translate" (to put it in some way) YM2151 parameters to be compatible with YM2612/2608 parameters? Sorry for these silly questions!
  • Dekyo-NO Offline

Post by Dekyo-NO »

I managed to use the OPM patches in FMP7/PMD.
  • Dekyo-NO Offline

Post by Dekyo-NO »

Hello again.

I've found a CUI tool to convert TFI instruments to OPM banks.

I don't know if anyone already knew that tool. Before I had found it but did not take much importance, but now yes, since I have a lot of instruments in TFI format.

Also, I'm going to attach a zip file that includes an MML file for PMD, to confirm that OPM patches work perfectly.

It's about Sky Chase Zone from Sonic the Hedgehog 2.

The MML requires a PCM file for 86 sound board called "sonic.P86" that is included in the zip. I've ripped the percussion samples using Oerg866's VGM PCM Data Dumper.

PS: The tempo of the original version is slightly faster, but I like it more slow.
Last edited by Dekyo-NO on 2018-07-12, 0:52:52, edited 2 times in total.
  • Shywolf Offline

Post by Shywolf »

Sounds nice! For others' convenience, I attached the exported .M2 file and a recording (made with FMPMD2000).
Attachments
skychase_M2+MP3.zip
(3.32 MiB) Downloaded 270 times
  • Dekyo-NO Offline

Post by Dekyo-NO »

I'm thinking in make an arrange of Chaotix using these OPM presets. As to the PWM samples, I ripped them using Audacity by importing raw data.
I'm going to use PPZ8 for the PWM samples.
  • dksrphm Offline

Post by dksrphm »

Thank you for using(?) vgmfmprm.

vgmfmprm shows you FM tone data (ex. OPM, tone @0) in VGM as:
'@ M 0
AR DR SR RR SL TL KS ML DT1 DT2 AME
ALG FB

And, PMD(MC.exe with /m option) FM tone data format is:
@ 0 ALG FB

Maybe you can use vgmfmprm's output to cut-and-paste ALG, FB values and re-formatting.

PMD is:
'@ FC No
'@ AR,DR,SR,RR,SL,TL,KS,ML,DT1,DT2,AM
'@ AL,FB

Maybe you can use it's output only to re-formatting.
  • Dekyo-NO Offline

Post by Dekyo-NO »

dksrphm wrote:PMD is:
'@ FC No
'@ AL,FB

Maybe you can use it's output only to re-formatting.
That output is for FMPv4/FMP7.