Skip to content

VGMPlay / in_vgm

Last update: 2023-12-31 (v0.51.1)

Technical discussion about the VGM format, and all the software you need to handle VGM files.

Moderator: Staff

• blitzlunar Offline

Re: VGMPlay / in_vgm

Post by blitzlunar »

I updated to the aforementioned foo_input_vgm beta a few days ago.
Something I feel is important to mention is that there is a change in how the component reports track lengths, with looped material no longer being counted. Taking Sonic the Hedgehog's Green Hill Zone as an example (2x loop + fade), the reported length has changed from 1:37 to 0:58. Songs with loops still play exactly as before, so in practice Green Hill Zone still plays for the full 1:37, but beyond the reported length.

For the most part it just looks a little strange in foobar2000 to see a song playing longer than it says it is, however one deleterious & unintended consequence of this change in behaviour is that a very large number of songs that previously exceeded the 30+ seconds minimum length for Last FM scrobbling now fall under that threshold, and can no longer be scrobbled.

Post by Kaminari »

It's clearly a bug, since you can't manually seek beyond the first loop.
  • ValleyBell Offline

Post by ValleyBell »

I'm afraid that this bug may be caused by a recent change to libvgm I made.
I made the client programs able to specify various formats of track lengths and the default values may not be what foo_input_vgm expects.

Post by Kaminari »

https://ux.getuploader.com/foobar2000/download/243

[Edit]

The plugin was updated, but the fix doesn't seem to work on all tracks. For example in Dunk Dream, track 01 (Team Select) displays correctly the two loops of 18 seconds each, but track 02 (Funky Heat) only displays the first loop of 1 minute 50 seconds.

Both tracks play correctly their full length however, regardless of what the seek bar indicates.