OSDOS
Sound ChipsAdLib/Sound Blaster (YM3812)
Tracks104
Playing time2:46:28
Pack authorNewRisingSun
Pack version1.00
Last Update2017-09-28

Post by Kaminari »

Massive rip for a great soundtrack (even if it doesn't compare to the MT-32). I'd like to mention a couple things.

A complete Woodtick medley would have been a nice bonus track. I sometimes start the game just to visit the town and play my own interactive mix on the go.

Another thing I miss are the sound effects mixed with the music. I don't remember if those FX were specific to the Sound Blaster or the MT-32 though. Like the carpenter using his saw in Woodtick or that iconic sample when you enter the voodoo lady's hut.

Post by NewRisingSun »

Kaminari wrote:A complete Woodtick medley would have been a nice bonus track. I sometimes start the game just to visit the town and play my own interactive mix on the go.
I'll see what I can do.
Kaminari wrote:that iconic sample when you enter the voodoo lady's hut.
There is no sample when you enter the hut, at least not in the original DOS version. There are three notes played on a Shakuhachi, which can be heard at 1'21'' in track 14.
Last edited by NewRisingSun on 2017-10-16, 9:48:34, edited 1 time in total.

Post by Kaminari »

You're right, those are the notes I was thinking about. I mostly played the MT-32 version and for the longest time I was convinced that dynamic shakuhachi sequence was a sample. I underestimated the Power of the Synth!
  • nlflint Offline

Post by nlflint »

This rip is not in YM3812 (OPL2) format, as the metadata indicates. It's in YMF262 (OPL3). The songs don't seem to utilize the OPL3 registers, except to clear them, but the metadata/songs should be corrected to show YMF262.