Skip to content

The new mobile-based skins are really horrible

If you're experiencing problems with the website (packs pages/forum/wiki) or you would like to suggest something, you can post here.

Moderator: Staff

• (Jazz) Jackalope Offline

The new mobile-based skins are really horrible

Post by (Jazz) Jackalope »

Is there a way to change it on the forums user-side or to revert to the last one?
I'm trying to add information found on the forums easier to find on the wiki. If I forget to credit you, please let me know (or edit the article if you don't want to wait).

WIPs: 2023-10-30

Re: The new mobile-based skins are really horrible

Post by vampirefrog »

Unfortunately no, I've decided to only support one theme, but we'll adjust the theme itself to fit. Can you make a specific list of what the issues are?

Okay, it took me this long to reply, because it took me this long to feel freed up to investigate a bit more concretely. My apologies, but I didn't want to just slap something together.

First of all, I saw the new skin and pretty much assumed "this is like a skin intended for phones got applied to desktop with ugly results." And I still feel that way, but now I doubt that's what was happening in so many words.

But as far as "scaffoldBB" goes, the enlarged text size is kind of horrific. It may be good for users with bad eyesight, but the problem is, the things around the text are inflated to match. So somehow the page numbers for a thread get shoved under the header even when the header doesn't reach that far, and a lot more screen space is taken up than needed. As just one crime against aesthetics.

I still remember CSS, so I tried opening the inspector to troubleshoot and: "Ohhh, it's Bootstrap because of course it is." Seems I don't have the bandwidth to detangle this just yet - but if I did, I'd kind of rather update the prosilver skin if there's no reason it absolutely can't be used. I'm familiar enough with all of this to know that the unnecessary classes coming with this default Bootstrap implementation are a waste of byteage and bandwidth; whether it's causing the slowdown problems by itself, I don't know for sure, but an easy way to find out I think would be to flip prosilver back on universally for a short time and see if this makes a difference.

When I tried switching to the prosilver skin, it didn't have a dark theme but a crucial feature, the thread subheaders, came back. Clear as day. With this, the only primary thing I don't seem to know how to put back is the Who Is Online list, but I guess that isn't very important.

I don't know when I'll "have the mental bandwidth" to try to work on the CSS, but it is definitely something I can attempt when my plate's clearer.

Not sure if there are things I'm forgetting, but I hope this helps a bit.
I'm trying to add information found on the forums easier to find on the wiki. If I forget to credit you, please let me know (or edit the article if you don't want to wait).

Post by vampirefrog »

Try the VGMRips theme, it fixes some of these issues

Not perfect yet, but getting there.
Attachments
theme.png

Post by vampirefrog »

Try now. I've tested with:

Falkon
Application version 22.12.1
QtWebEngine version 5.15.12