Skip to content

MDScene will no longer host VGMRips

Important informations posted by the staff. Make sure to read [topic=1]the rules[/topic].

Moderator: Staff

MDScene will no longer host VGMRips

Post by Oerg866 »

Hello all,

First of all, here is the announcement:

MDScene as it is will cease to exist starting at April 1, 2014. The vgmrips site has already been moved off it.

The reason for that is simple. Thanks to the effort, this site became so large that it actually started to affect my home network in terms of speed and latency, as the site has always been hosted on my own home internet connection. It has started clocking up over 300GB/month outgoing traffic, severely impairing performance during peak hours. This manifested itself in higher latency and more annoying little things.

Thanks for all the support during 2.5 great years. You rock :)

Remember, it started like this: http://img.ctrlv.in/img/14/03/11/531f7de878f0d.jpg

Maybe one day(tm), I will aquire fiber optics and be able to host the site again.

As for the other parts of mdscene, like my own files and the project MD site, these will probably stay online *somewhere*, but I have no idea where ;)

See ya!
Oerg866
former VGMRips server hoster :)

Server uptime: http://www.mdscene.net/index2.php

Re: MDScene will no longer host VGMRips

Post by Rotating Username »

I'm obviously glad for the heads-up, and greatly appreciate what you've done in hosting this site, but...
Oerg866 wrote:MDScene as it is will cease to exist starting at April 1, 2014. The vgmrips site has already been moved off it.
I don't quite understand. Is this forum (and all the hosted files) currently located on another server/location, despite the URL still being vgm.mdscene.net? I'm pretty bad at understanding internet things. Could you perhaps state a bit more clearly how these changes will affect end-users?

Re: MDScene will no longer host VGMRips

Post by Oerg866 »

Rotating Username wrote:Could you perhaps state a bit more clearly how these changes will affect end-users?
Yes, they won't affect end-users at all. The URLs are the same, it's just that the "vgm" subdomain points to a different server now.

Cheers
former VGMRips server hoster :)

Server uptime: http://www.mdscene.net/index2.php
  • 2ch-H Offline

Post by 2ch-H »

Forum Bug? Can not post new topics in Submissions.
  • ValleyBell Offline

Post by ValleyBell »

Thanks for the report.
I was using a hardcoded path in one of the forum mods I did and because of the server move the internal folder structure changed a bit.

Anyway, it should be fixed now.
  • VGMfreak Offline

Post by VGMfreak »

Thanks Oerg866 for hosting.

Post by vampirefrog »

Thank you Oerg866!
  • VGMfreak Offline

Post by VGMfreak »

Spending the last day with vgmrips on the MDScene server...

EDIT: I was drunk, thought the server changed domain names, still I'm going to miss the domain mdscene.net (404)
Last edited by VGMfreak on 2014-04-01, 1:17:02, edited 1 time in total.