Skip to content

Valley Bell's VGM Thread

for all sorts of homebrew VGMs

Original compositions, as well as ports and remixes of existing songs, can be posted in this forum, as long as they are in VGM format of course.

Moderator: Staff

• Tom Offline
  • Ragequit Member
    Ragequit Member

Post by Tom »

ValleyBell wrote:P.S.: Feedback is appreciated.
Ok.
  • Sonic Advance 3: Sonic Factory -- I don't like the original song, but the conversion is ok, I guess.
  • Sonic Adventure: Emerald Coast 1: Azure Blue World -- I love the original song, I wanted to convert it to smps since a long time ago but I never managed to make a decent rendition of it. Nice work with it.
  • Sonic Advance 2: Invincibility -- Not bad.
  • Sonic Adventure: Emerald Coast 2: Windy and Ripply -- Another song I really like. Not many people know I once converted it too, for PsychoSk8r's 30DP. I like it, but I somehow think you overused the pitch bends; also, too bad you didn't use the bass from Sonic 3D's boss music: since the beginning of those two songs is identical I always saw it as a perfect chance for a tribute / easter egg / inside joke.
  • Sonic CD: Wacky Workbench: Past -- Good, if anything, as a proof of concept. There seems to be an off-pitch instrument, though. Maybe the bell-like thing.
  • Sonic Advance 2: True Area 53 -- Nice one.
  • Sonic Advance 2: True Area 53 [Variation] -- Nice one too.
  • Sonic Time Attacked: Crystalline H20 -- I already commented on this once. Still awesome.
  • Sonic Time Attacked: Crystalline H20: Act 2 Remix -- Nice remix, I like it.
  • Sonic Advance 3: Chaos Angel Zone 1 -- Honestly, I don't like the drums, especially in the 5 seconds of the intro. Not a bad song per se, I like the detuned lead, but you've done better than this.
  • Sonic Advance 3: Chaos Angel Zone 2 -- Technically impressive, with the stereo effects almost abused, but in a good way. Too bad I don't like the song, too slow and meaningless for my taste, but that's not your fault, I blame whoever composed it.
  • Sonic Advance 3: Chaos Angel Zone 3 -- Ugh, it's that drum again. Fortunately the intro is ultra short, the rest of the song is quite awesome instead, probably the best of the Chaos Angel trilogy. For some reason the detuned lead sounded better in Act 1, though.
All in all, I confirm that my general impression is that you've done better than some of those. My comments to your conversions usually range from good to awesome, but this time I'll go ahead and say that most of those are quite average with some peaks (both positive and negative, unfortunately). I guess some songs just aren't suited for the YM2612, and not even a talent like you can perform a miracle on those. I would also like to know who was in charge of the drum samples themselves, because I don't like many of them. I'm not in the position to criticize this very much since I kept all the original S1 drums in my hack, but...
Also known as nineko.
  • ValleyBell Offline

Post by ValleyBell »

• Sonic Advance 2: Invincibility -- The original port was without the "Go!" sounds, btw, but RHS asked me to insert them.
  • Sonic Adventure: Emerald Coast 2: Windy and Ripply -- You're right, the pitch bends are overused and I should reduce their usage at some places.
    I need to admit, that I quite rushed that song. I finished it one day before the update deadline of the Hacking Contest (and didn't have time to care too much about the pitchbends), so I want to work on it anyway.
    There's also a reverse cymbal that plays only with Gens core (or in Regen) for some reason.
  • Sonic CD: Wacky Workbench: Past -- Actually it IS a proof of concept, yes. I wanted to know if it's possible to port SMPS songs from SCD to S1 by hex-editing.
    If there wouldn't be these 2 samples with recorded accords, this one could've been a perfect port. (I recreated the accord with 3 tones on 1 channel, btw, although it's just a sine wave.)
    I'll try to do a better port sometime, but then I'll work with a MIDI.
  • Sonic Advance 2: True Area 53 [Variation] -- Actually this one isn't final. There was something I wanted to work on, but I forgot about it.
  • Sonic Advance 3: Chaos Angel Zone 1 -- The drums are intentional (including the "hard"/distorted bass drum. I found the low timpani being a quite good replacement for a low orchestra hit.
  • Sonic Advance 3: Chaos Angel Zone 2 -- The stereo effects: That happens when I'm in a good mood. :P And I had lots of fun doing them.
    I don't think that it's too bad that this song is slow. It's the calm before the storm (act 3).
  • Sonic Advance 3: Chaos Angel Zone 3 -- Timpani = Orch. Hit, like in CAZ1, and I like it. I added a small echo effect to the guitars, btw. (I really like echoes.)
The drums samples already were S3K samples + open and closed hi-hat (used in Crystalline H20) before I knew RHS. I added the tambourine and cymbal without bass drum sounds.

btw: I forgot one song (probably because it's for the Staff Roll, which is currently unreachable in the ROM), which I added now: Leaf Forest Beta
  • dissident93 Offline

Post by dissident93 »

Tom wrote:I would also like to know who was in charge of the drum samples themselves, because I don't like many of them. I'm not in the position to criticize this very much since I kept all the original S1 drums in my hack, but...
The timpani in the intro of Valley's Chaos Angel Act 3 vgm? If so, then that would be Masaru Setsumaru. Also, the song is arranged by Tomoya Ohtani, but I'm not sure if he composed it. Act 1 and 2 sound like they were arranged by different people.

Off topic, oops. xD (BTW I like all the songs, Valley, and now I wanna try my hand in doing some)

Post by Sonic of 8! »

ValleyBell, I was crazy now to say this, but it can be cool for most people. You can make PSY's Gangnam Style track into VGM? Seriously, this music was infeccting all the world, but not even one was able to do it in VGM format.
  • tails_ Offline

Post by tails_ »

Lol'd so hardly from your post :D
  • ValleyBell Offline

Post by ValleyBell »

Good that Tom took care of it. The song absolutely not the sort of music I like anyway.
  • ValleyBell Offline

Post by ValleyBell »

Some of you may already know it, but Tom/nineko is doing an SMPS Competition over at SSRG and I am entering quite regularly.

Here's the list of my entries for rounds 1-15: (the place I got is noted in square brackets, VGM+SMPS included)
  • Round 1: Sonic 2 (8-bit) - Scrambled Egg Zone: VGM / SMPS [1/4]
  • Round 2: Final Fantasy V (SNES) - Gilgamesh Theme: VGM / SMPS [2/2]
  • Round 3: Silver Surfer (NES) - Level 1: [missed, on vacation]
  • Round 4: Super Sonic Racing: VGM / SMPS [1/2]
  • Round 5: Sonic Pocket Adventure - Special Stage: VGM / SMPS [3/4]
  • Round 6: Loopz (Game Boy) - Tune A: VGM / SMPS [post deadline entry]
  • Round 7: Metroid (NES) - Brinstar: VGM / SMPS [3/4]
  • Round 8: The Adventures of Asahina Mikuru Episode 00 - Battle Theme: VGM / SMPS [2/4]
  • Round 9: Mega Man ZX (NDS) - Area I - "Misty Rain" [1/5] VGM / SMPS
  • Round 10: Sonic Spinball (8-bit) - Final Showdown: VGM / SMPS [5/5]
  • Round 11: Super Mario 64 - Bob-Omb Battlefield: VGM / SMPS [1/7]
  • Joke Round 11.5: The Pacman Jingle (Arcade): VGM / SMPS [no votes]
  • Round 12: Duck Tales (NES, beta version) - Ghost House: VGM / SMPS [post deadline entry]
  • Round 13: Yoshi's Cookie (SNES) - Song B: VGM / SMPS [3/3]
  • Round 14: Wario Blast (Game Boy) - Arrow Zone: VGM / SMPS [2/3]
  • Round 15: Ocarina of Time (N64) - Windmill Hut: VGM / SMPS [1/4]
Enjoy!

P.S.: SMPS means compatible with Sonic 1 (MegaDrive), so the VGMs are all SN76489 + YM2612.

Post by GTheGuardian »

Nice stuff out there Valleybell.I like that Metroid and Megaman ZX arrangement.
  • Cris Offline

Post by Cris »

The vgms are very good :D
Valleybell could tell me how to add the bin smps in rom?
  • ValleyBell Offline

Post by ValleyBell »

You need a disassembly of Sonic 1. Then you can simply include the file like this:

Code: Select all

Music81:	incbin	sound\new_smps.bin
  • ValleyBell Offline

Post by ValleyBell »

After a long break from doing any SMPS music, I finished this today:
Tales of Phantasia: Fighting of the Spirit (SNES version) (mid2smps, YM2612 + SN76489)

EDIT: I don't feel like double-posting within a few hours, but I just finished something else:
Star Ocean: The Second Story: KA.MI.KA.ZE (mid2smps, YM2612 + SN76489)

I did most work on both songs in January 2014. Around that time I had already lost interest in making SMPS songs, so they were in a half-finished state for 4 months.
  • pianino Offline

Post by pianino »

hi, i dont know if this question is out of topic, but here it is.
i download the midi to smps converter, y try to sequence my midi files using the mid to smpss simple midi port, i opne the midi file in the tool , and sabe, but the file is a .bin forman, and i cant listen it.
all so, if is a betther wawy to cconvert a smps to vgm or vgz files?
My favorite sound chip?, YM-2413!
  • pianino Offline

Post by pianino »

hi there, after i make some vgms fro m other music, it's time to learn Sonic tracks!, so, if vallybells don't have time to make a Sonic rendition, i make it for you.
just addme in the Facebook as milton damian paredes, and i make a rendision of Sonic for you
My favorite sound chip?, YM-2413!

?

Post by nitrofurano »

most or all of the "downloadable" files here are dead links! guys, please fix them!!!! :D
  • ValleyBell Offline

Post by ValleyBell »

Just replace "vgm.mdscene.net" with "vgmrips.net" and it will work.

I'll try to do a forum-wide mass replacement of mdscene.net links sometime later.