Skip to content

Namco WSG Arcade Classics

Original compositions, as well as ports and remixes of existing songs, can be posted in this forum, as long as they are in VGM format of course.

Moderator: Staff

• gRg Offline

Namco WSG Arcade Classics

Post by gRg »

An archive with full sound packs (music + sfx) for the classic arcade titles made by Namco written for the WSG sound chip. The songs were extracted with a reverse-engineered driver (frame2frame correctness checked vs Mame register dumps) and, inspired by QuattroPlay, converted to C352 using a custom converter. Placed here, due to a lack of official support for WSG in VGM but I hope that one day the sheer beauty of these compositions will lead to their adoption into the standard! :) My plan is to keep adding soundtracks here from other titles when outcomes from the respective drivers are verified. I will also release the tool once it is in a presentable state.

Hardware: Pac Man / WSG Hardware: Super Pacman / CS15 Hardware: System 16 Universal / CS15
Attachments
Ponpoko_(Namco_Pac_Man).zip
(12.28 KiB) Downloaded 436 times
Super_Pac-Man_(Namco_Super_Pacman).zip
(25.04 KiB) Downloaded 368 times
Pac_&_Pal_(Namco_Super_Pacman).zip
(23.43 KiB) Downloaded 357 times
Libble_Rabble_(Namco_System_16_Universal).zip
(32.91 KiB) Downloaded 350 times
Phozon_(Namco_Super_Pacman).zip
(26.67 KiB) Downloaded 322 times
Mappy_(Namco_Super_Pacman).zip
(38.29 KiB) Downloaded 445 times
Toy_Pop_(Namco_System_16_Universal).zip
(51.46 KiB) Downloaded 338 times
Motos_(Namco_Super_Pacman).zip
(37.46 KiB) Downloaded 330 times
Dig_Dug_2_(Namco_Super_Pacman).zip
(30.08 KiB) Downloaded 359 times
The_Tower_of_Druaga_(Namco_Super_Pacman).zip
(55.72 KiB) Downloaded 397 times
Last edited by gRg on 2021-05-16, 22:49:05, edited 1 time in total.
  • denjhang Offline

Post by denjhang »

This is very interesting, is it possible to extract more WSG music?
  • gRg Offline

Post by gRg »

Hi, that is my ultimate goal but the conversion process is very slow as it currently requires full disassembly/analysis of each music driver separately. Also, my "hobby" time has been limited recently but hope to get back to it over the summer.
  • ValleyBell Offline

Post by ValleyBell »

Would you mind sharing your research and maybe disassemblies?
Maybe it could be of use for some people.
  • gRg Offline

Post by gRg »

Sure, need to tidy it up a bit first. The initial bits (The Tower of Druaga format description and basic version of the converter) are here: https://github.com/grgowski/WSGSound.
  • gRg Offline

Namco Sound Driver compendium

Post by gRg »

Hi, I thought to share here a link to an amazing piece of work by YST on Namco's sound drivers: https://x6uso.booth.pm/items/1930712 It contains the technical analysis of sound drivers for almost all Namco games using different WSG chips and is rather comprehensive in detail. It also renders my plans for further analysis of these drivers pointless so will need to look for a new hobby! :) The booklet is available in electronic format and Google translate does a great job at making it accessible for those not versed in Japanese.
  • jadasse Offline

Other Namco games?

Post by jadasse »

Are there plans to make VGMs of more Namco games? For instance, I'd really like to see New Rally X.