Skip to content

Raijin's VGM's

Original compositions, as well as ports and remixes of existing songs, can be posted in this forum, as long as they are in VGM format of course.

Moderator: Staff

• Raijin Offline

Raijin's VGM's

Post by Raijin »

So here I will post my more polished VGM's. My earlier work is really bad, but maybe I will re-do the older ones eventually. Also, I mostly do covers, and by mostly, I mean 99.99% of the time :cry:
I usually make my own FM instruments, though sometimes, you will hear some familiar ones. For DAC, I mostly use actual Genesis samples.

Genesis/MD Folder

Yeah, I cover a lot of Megaman X. The reason is (mostly) because I believe the MMX series would have sounded better on the Genesis.

Share your thoughts!
Last edited by Raijin on 2014-02-09, 4:22:26, edited 15 times in total.
  • neologix Offline

Post by neologix »

any "spark mandrill" and "intro stage" from mmx around?
  • ValleyBell Offline

Post by ValleyBell »

The VGMs are quite large. I recommend to export as v1.60 VGM. (or even better: VGZ)
[pack] DefleMask comes with a VGM 1.60 compatible ROM builder, btw.
  • Raijin Offline

Post by Raijin »

neologix: Yes, I'm sure eventually I'll get around to those tracks.

ValleyBell: Thanks. I have replaced the links with 1.60 VGZ files instead. About Deflemask, yes I know, but I don't use Deflemask at the moment. I hate to say, but there are still some bugs and things about Deflemask that break the flow of tracking. In due time though, It will be a great tracker.
  • Tom Offline
  • Ragequit Member
    Ragequit Member

Post by Tom »

I like what I hear!

Good arrangements aside, I like the instruments themselves. Your overdriven guitars are very good, for example.
Also known as nineko.
  • Delek Offline

Post by Delek »

Raijin wrote:I hate to say, but there are still some bugs and things about Deflemask that break the flow of tracking. In due time though, It will be a great tracker.
That time will be shorter if you could report bugs and suggest addons. I'm fixing and adding things all days and I can't find remaining bugs. You could report things at any time in:
http://www.delek.com.ar/forum/

Also you could watch this Workshop of DefleMask in the latest 8Static event, maybe it will clear some things:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9tdukmn_3TY
Last edited by Delek on 2012-08-20, 0:22:59, edited 2 times in total.
  • Raijin Offline

Post by Raijin »

I know Delek, I have reported bugs and used the Tracker extensively before. But besides the bugs, there is something else that makes tracking with Deflemask feel weird. Everything seems fine, but it is an unexplainable thing with the pacing and the presentation. I really don't know. :?
That's why I feel like I should wait a while first so Deflemask can mature more.
  • Delek Offline

Post by Delek »

DefleMask maduration will be always integrated with user's feedback, so it is a shame that you can't explain what is that "weird" feeling that you have with it.

I am a little bit scared after hear this type of unexplainable criticism, it is true, however, I think that what you are suffering is a question of habits. The interface is a mix of FastTracker II and FamiTracker, and it is working pretty well, but the crash between accustomed users and a new software is inevitable.
  • Raijin Offline

Post by Raijin »

Delek: Yeah, you might be right. It might be because of preference, it's really similar to Famitracker though, so it's weird that would be why, but maybe it really is.

Tom: Thanks! You will recognise some guitars from Thunderforce IV in the Flame Stag cover, but all of the other guitar instruments in the other songs I made myself. I personally like how I managed to make the guitar for Flame Mammoth sound like a convincing guitar, and the guitar for the X2 Intro Stage has a cool and unique sound to it. It reminds me of the unique sound from some Treasure games.
  • Raijin Offline

Post by Raijin »

Hey guys, I added a link to my latest cover in the first post. It's Crystal Snail from Megaman X2. I'm satisfied with this one I think, but I've recieved varied opinions on this one, so I kind of feel like I'm missing some sort of improvements somewhere, but I'm not really sure how I could improve it more. Tell me what you think!
  • Raijin Offline

Post by Raijin »

Updated the first post with my recent cover, this time it's Sigma Fortress 2. I've been prolonging this one for some time, and just got around to finishing it. Thoughts/critique are welcome.
  • neologix Offline

Post by neologix »

Sigma Fortress 2 sounds really clean; good drum samples and great use of the FM there!

The Crystal Snail one sounds kind of muted to me, tho. The vibes need to be more pronounced and pop more, you know what I mean? It's supposed to be this crystalline cave w/echoes around you and it sounds more like a kalimba/thumb piano than a vibraphone. The guitar's ok, but I always liked X's guitars over X2's.

In all honesty, if X2 had X's sample set I'd LOVE its soundtrack. Instead, X2 in general is lukewarm to me, and I absolutely HATE X3's soundtrack (X3 sounds like it improperly uses X2's sample set).
  • Raijin Offline

Post by Raijin »

Thanks for the compliment and critique.

About Crystal Snail, it was pretty difficult to do properly and get all of that atmoshphere into it. Definately a first time for that kind of thing. I agree though and I'll definately play around with it and try to improve it some time.

I also agree with what you say on the X series instruments in general, though, I honestly don't mind X2's samples that much. X3's use of those samples are just a complete mess, and Capcom should have used new samples for that as well.
X1's composition style compared to the rest are so far apart in terms of atmosphere though, and that atmosphere is what played not only a big part in the soundtrack, but a big part in the game itself as well. Nothing beats the effective mood X1 set up.
Last edited by Raijin on 2012-10-17, 20:41:15, edited 1 time in total.
  • MaliceX Offline

Post by MaliceX »

Damn these are very good covers. I dunno what else to add other than what's already been said. :D Keep at it!
-dj.tuBIG/MaliceX
  • Raijin Offline

Post by Raijin »

MaliceX: Thanks, I appreciate that!

By the way, I added my cover of Bad Apple to the first post. Stef over at Sega-16 forums was working on a visual demo for the Genesis using Bad Apple, the monochrome video that is floating around all over the internet, and I ended up making an FM version so he could use it. He was originally going to use PCM only, and he did finish the PCM version, but when he went to impliment this FM version, there was problems with the Z80 VGM driver. Apparently it can't play the VGM right, so I guess a new driver would need to be written to obsolete the current one. In any case, here is the link to the thread if you want to check it out.

http://www.sega-16.com/forum/showthread.php?19027-Bad-Apple-demo-thread