Skip to content

(SOLVED!) Need Help getting Terminator 2 arcade Skynet Voice Samples

Technical discussion which is not directly related to VGM files. Talk about Hardware and Software.

Moderator: Staff

• kmvegas Offline

(SOLVED!) Need Help getting Terminator 2 arcade Skynet Voice Samples

Post by kmvegas »

Hello all!

This may be a long shot but I was wondering if anyone could help me. As the topic states, I'm trying to get the Skynet voice samples from Midway's Terminator 2 arcade game ripped in WAV. I tried a program called M1 but it doesn't seem to work well with T2, at least not for me. The music and sound effects play but the voice clips are broken up across different entries, and I can't even find the Skynet voice clips. If anybody could help me with rips or point me in the right direction on how to do it, I'd sure appreciate it.

Thanks!

EDIT: I figured it out! I extracted the rom's sound files from the zip file and then opened them with a free program called Ocenaudio and under "Raw Data Format", choose "OKI/Dialogic Adaptive DPCM", and Sample Rate 8000 Hz. Hope this helps others, and thanks again for your time to those who read my post.
  • Nikanoru Offline

Re: (SOLVED!) Need Help getting Terminator 2 arcade Skynet Voice Samples

Post by Nikanoru »

Almost all (if not all, honestly) games that use the OKI MSM 6295 chip play sounds at a fixed rate of 7575 hz (pin switch in high mode)

Allegedly the chip can play at higher frequencies for better quality (max 37878 hz in high pin switch mode) but i've never saw it happen myself (you can only store up to 13 seconds of samples using said frequency... no idea if you can mix frequencies in real time (like Neo Geo's YM2610's B ADPCM samples)

Nerd Trivia = There's an unused Skynet voice sample... it says "defense". Not the only one in the game, mind you :p
  • ValleyBell Offline

Post by ValleyBell »

In Audacity, that type of compression is called "VOX ADPCM".
  • kmvegas Offline

Post by kmvegas »

Thanks for the additional info, guys! Love the details. I'm quite the geek - but you already knew that when I asked about Skynet voice samples :lol: