Skip to content

An idea: VGM Studio

A full GUI application

If you're experiencing problems with the website (packs pages/forum/wiki) or you would like to suggest something, you can post here.

Moderator: Staff

An idea: VGM Studio

Post by vampirefrog »

Here's my idea for a fully featured VGM software. It should be able to do:

- Wave display with command overlay and loop selection
- Command list display, with filters (ie, display waits, toggle this or that chip etc).
- Chip info display
- GD3 editing
- Tools such as loop finding and trimming

many more

As you can see, it brings together vgmlpfnd, vgm2txt, vgm_trim, vgmplay and possibly other tools.

I am thinking GTK+ would be a good choice and would make it cross platform.

Post by vampirefrog »

The command-line tool functionality, such as vgmlpfnd, vgm_cmp and so on can be implemented as plugins to the main application. Similar to GIMP, in fact.

To further extend functionality, scripting can be implemented. I am thinking python, but whatever.
  • blitzlunar Offline

Post by blitzlunar »

Hah, this announcement comes just as tagging is added to foo_input_vgm. Well, will see how it goes and possibly get back to you. :)

Post by vampirefrog »

Not sure what one has to do with the other. Right now I'm trying to figure out how to display the vgm commands on a timeline.
  • neologix Offline

Post by neologix »

vampirefrog wrote:Right now I'm trying to figure out how to display the vgm commands on a timeline.
Is the current vgm2txt algorithm not good enough to get a sample-accurate timestamp of a given command?

Post by vampirefrog »

The issue is to display the commands from sample N to sample N+M. I am currently considering using a sort of 1D array of X samples for each cell. That way one can easily correlate between sample position and file position. However, that might be difficult to edit, so I'm thinking of a smart tree structure of sorts.
  • blitzlunar Offline

Post by blitzlunar »

vampirefrog wrote:Not sure what one has to do with the other. Right now I'm trying to figure out how to display the vgm commands on a timeline.
My bad. Thought I read something about tagging as well, but I must have imagined it.

Post by vampirefrog »

Of course, there will be tagging support. It wouldn't be complete without it.

I'm still pondering whether to make mass tagging part of VGM Studio or a separate tool.
  • dissident93 Offline

Post by dissident93 »

Having it all in one is always better, just look at VGMToolbox.

Post by vampirefrog »

I want a specialized tool, focusing on one format only.
  • MaliceX Offline

Post by MaliceX »

Any reason why the preference of GTK+ when Qt also fits the crossplatform criteria, and doesn't require a runtime installation?

I've been thinking of refactoring vgm2txt to work as a vgm command reader that works in-memory for some time. I currently do not have frequent internet access until hopefully a few days later.
-dj.tuBIG/MaliceX

Post by vampirefrog »

personal preference, plus it's C, and VB would like it. A lot of the code would be reusable though.