Skip to content

[Suggestion/request] OPL2/OPL3/(OPL?) VGM instrument ripper

If you're experiencing problems with the website (packs pages/forum/wiki) or you would like to suggest something, you can post here.

Moderator: Staff

• kyusawamura Offline

[Suggestion/request] OPL2/OPL3/(OPL?) VGM instrument ripper

Post by kyusawamura »

Hello, devs and fellow rippers. I'm not sure this is the right topic folder to post this, but anyway.

I've been talking to an acquaintance of mine who's a very dedicated OPL3/OPL2 composer, an AdLib Tracker 2 user to be exact, and he said that it's possible to rip instrument presets from OPL2/OPL3 VGMs by using VGM2TXT, but I asked him about this and he said it would still be handy to have a tool to automatically convert these (and any other) instruments in a song to AdLib compatible formats.

Basically, a tool similar to VGM2PRE (not necessarily with a frontend, can be command line) that can rip OPL2/OPL3/(OPL?) instrumets in these formats, or the most used amongst these:

A2I (AT2)
A2F (AT2) [w/fm-register macro]
CIF (BoomTracker 4.0)
FIN (FM-Kingtracker)
INS (HSC-Tracker/RAD-Tracker, SAdT, Amusic/AdLib instrument)
SBI (Creative Labs FM instrument)
SGI (Sound Generator 3.0)

Would it be possible to make?

Thanks in advance! :mrgreen:

-Kyu
  • MaliceX Offline

Post by MaliceX »

I've been eyeing the idea for some time but haven't had time to make good with the prospect. (also subject to possible experimentation with my little opl3 driver fork project wich I've just silently revived after a 3 year hibernation).

I'll see if I can throw something quickly together. Originally I was planning to expand neologix' vgm2pre program to add OPL2/3 support for at least BNK and SBI formats, but somehow lost track.
-dj.tuBIG/MaliceX
  • kyusawamura Offline

Post by kyusawamura »

Wow, MaliceX, I never read your reply. Whoops.
That would be really cool! And definitely worth the wait ;)
  • Alianger Offline

Post by Alianger »

Any updates on this?