Skip to content

Project2612 imported

If you're experiencing problems with the website (packs pages/forum/wiki) or you would like to suggest something, you can post here.

Moderator: Staff

Project2612 imported

Post by vampirefrog »

Hello, I have imported 704 sets from project2612.org, please report bugs in this thread.

Post by marklincadet »

The missing fields (Developer, Release Date, Composer, etc.) immediately stand out- although that's less of a bug than it is how outdated the txt files are.
  • Yoshiatom Offline

Post by Yoshiatom »

marklincadet wrote:The missing fields (Developer, Release Date, Composer, etc.) immediately stand out- although that's less of a bug than it is how outdated the txt files are.
Related to this, I've noticed how a few packs with multiple composers seem to mash the names into one. For example, Aladdin has "Tommy Tallarico Donald Griffin Alan Menken" as it's sole composer and Decap Attack has "Fumito Tamayama Hiroto Kanno". On a similar note, Crüe Ball uses an & symbol to seperate the composers and thus they're also treated as one by the website. (Unless that's intentional since Mötley Crüe is a band and not a single person)

Post by vampirefrog »

Yoshiatom wrote:
marklincadet wrote:The missing fields (Developer, Release Date, Composer, etc.) immediately stand out- although that's less of a bug than it is how outdated the txt files are.
Related to this, I've noticed how a few packs with multiple composers seem to mash the names into one. For example, Aladdin has "Tommy Tallarico Donald Griffin Alan Menken" as it's sole composer and Decap Attack has "Fumito Tamayama Hiroto Kanno". On a similar note, Crüe Ball uses an & symbol to seperate the composers and thus they're also treated as one by the website. (Unless that's intentional since Mötley Crüe is a band and not a single person)
Thanks for reporting, these should be easy to fix.
  • Landale Offline

Post by Landale »

It's good to have the project2612 archive available here. It makes the music more accessible. Thanks!
:sonic2: Hyper Fanboy

Post by donluca »

Bumping this.

I think we've discussed this in the past, but to conclude the migration of P2612 in vgmrips, I'd love to have the forums imported as well and added as a read-only archived section at the bottom of the various sections of the vgmrips forum.

Apart from the Offtopic section (which can clearly be omitted as it doesn't have relevant information), the other sections of the website have several important topics such as:
  • Valleybell's thread on how to hack some games without sound test in order to play all the tracks without playing the game (and having SFX on top of them)
  • The status of several P2612 packs which, despite being already imported, needed work or had issues which needed to be addressed
  • Other various information about sound drivers used in Mega Drive games and other tech info which are still relevant today
Hopefully this can be done at some point by obtaining a database dump of P2612's forums and a script to import them into VGMrips.

Post by vampirefrog »

How will we deal with user logins?

Perhaps it is better to manually transfer the posts, and have users register/login only if they want to.

Post by donluca »

vampirefrog wrote:How will we deal with user logins?

Perhaps it is better to manually transfer the posts, and have users register/login only if they want to.
That sounds like a huge amount of work I really don't want to burden you with, but if you have a plan on how to easily deal with it then, by all means, I'm 100% for it.

When I transferred the old forums of my own project to the current myBB I just orphaned all the users and asked them to recreate an account, if they wanted to keep posting, and I just emptied their passwords so that they couldn't log on anymore.

There could also be overlap between users on P2612 which are registered on vgmrips as well, leading to name collisions which could create confusion between "imported" P2612 users and current vgmrips users.

Back then I solved this issue by appending "_imported" to all the user names and giving them a special role.

A possible solution to this would be akin to what I did:

1. Export the P2612 database to recreate the forum structure of P2612 with all the sections and posts to a file
2. Clear all the passwords so that the users can no longer log in (and emails as well, so that there is no way to reset the passwords and have a new one)
3. Append something like "_P2612" to all user names
4. Re-enumerate the users' IDs so that they don't collide with the ones on vgmrips (I didn't have to do this because the new forums were empty)
5. Alter the tables so that they can be cleanly imported on vgmrips, ending up in a dedicated read-only section

But I have no idea how phpBB works and if it has some clever way to import other forums into a subsection. All of the above were the steps I went through doing some massive SQL queries (and failing several times before getting it right) in order to import all the data from my old forum to the new one.

Post by vampirefrog »

One solution is to add a phpbb3 extension to project2612 to make it into an OpenID Connect provider, and then on vgmrips add support for logging in with your project2612 user, have it redirect to p2612 for authentication, and then that redirects back to vgmrips, and we can do the reverse as well, have people login to p2612 with their vgmrips login by using this auth flow, but I can't find any phpbb3 extensions that do that, so I'd have to write one, and I haven't had time to do that, nor will I have time to anytime soon, but it would be a fairly elegant solution.

I do, however, plan to make the vgmrips forum into an auth provider, because I would like to separate the games database from the vgm database, so I can reuse the game database in other projects (such as the MDX database), so I hope that I can find time to do that.

Post by donluca »

I think most people from P2612 have already created a new user here on vgmrips and all the others are either inactive or are not interested anymore.

At the end of the day the only thing we're interested in is saving the technical discussion on the old P2612 forums or, as I was discussing with ValleyBell some time earlier, the best approach would turn those old threads into vgmrips wiki entries, with a better organization and up to date information.

The issue is, IMHO, that would require way more effort than just importing the P2612 forums over here, as it would require all steps to be manually done and checked.

The most critical thing right now is having a backup of the old forum database, so that if P2612 goes down for whatever reason we can re-create the forums and all the content.

Post by vampirefrog »

I don't know how to respond, I guess make a backup of p2612 and keep it safe? Maybe send me a copy too? Iunno.

Post by donluca »

I don't have access to P2612.

I'd sleep tighter if, for starters, I'd know that an up-to-date backup of the P2612 forum's database exists and it's at the very least in your hands (and, possibly, Valleybell's as well).

From there, as I proposed initially, I'd be really happy to have the old P2612's forums imported here in a new section, read-only and indexed by search engines.
The P2612 users in the P2612 forum database can all be wiped or locked, the only important thing is that their names appear on each post.
The way I did it on my own forums when I had to migrate, was, IIRC, to append "_old" to their usernames to avoid creating duplicated user names. A similar approach could be used here by appending "_p2612".

Next step could be to slowly create new vgmrips wiki pages based on the technical threads that were on P2612 forums, but that would be, like, ultra-low priority, because at that point we'd already have all those threads here and properly indexed, so making those wiki pages becomes something to do in our own spare time with no pressure at all.