Skip to content

VGMplay and Multidumper unable to open "new" files

If you're experiencing problems with the website (packs pages/forum/wiki) or you would like to suggest something, you can post here.

Moderator: Staff

• dnf Offline

VGMplay and Multidumper unable to open "new" files

Post by dnf »

This is a very bizarre problem that started happening to me recently and I have absolutely no idea how to fix it. VGMplay, Multidumper, in_vgm, and presumably several other VGM programs will no longer open any new VGM files that I download. VGMplay gives an "Error opening the file!" message and just exits, Multidumper immediately exits without doing anything, and Winamp with in_vgm just won't play the file. This is only happening with newer files I've downloaded after some indeterminate date - maybe a month ago, and older files that I already had work as normal. As a sanity test, I tried opening an old Dragon Spirit .vgz I had from before, then downloaded a new copy of the exact same file from the site. The old one worked as intended but the new one gave the aforementioned problems. It's almost as if there's a "cache" for the files that I've opened or dumped in the past that I'm able to open, and that these programs have become unable to add any new files to this cache. I'm suspecting that this is a registry problem, but I wouldn't know how to fix it in that case.

I'm running Windows 8.1. I believe my VGMplay version is 0.40.5, and that my Multidumper is the most recent version, but I've tried other versions and they do the exact same thing. Tell if there's any other info I should give, since my technical knowledge is very bad and I'm not sure what all to put down here. Sorry if this is the wrong forum for this question.
  • ValleyBell Offline

Post by ValleyBell »

Please tell us the following information:
  • link to one of the VGMs that don't open (all Dragon Spirit packs I was able to find were not updated since 2013/2014)
  • VGMPlay version according to "vgmplay.exe --version"
  • in_vgm version
  • Multidumper version or file modification date
Multidumper itself isn't in development anymore, I think? (I'm not sure.) Nowadays I use qvgmsplit for that task.
  • dnf Offline

Post by dnf »

• https://vgmrips.net/packs/vgm/Computers ... a%204).vgz This was what I first tested with, but absolutely none of the VGMs on the site will open, even ones from brand new packs.
  • VGMPlay 0.40.5, supports VGM 1.70
  • VGM Input Plugin v0.40.4
  • I can't find a version number for Multidumper, but the modification date is 5/29/2022.
I wasn't aware of qvgmsplit, however it has the exact same problem. It'll load my old VGMs just fine, but new ones give a "Failed to load file, error 0xFF" message.
EDIT: Downloading a full pack from the site and playing a file from there works as intended, and VGMs I've generated myself either through logging from an emulator or sequencing in a tracker like Deflemask also work. The problem seems to be specifically with individual tracks downloaded from the site.
  • ValleyBell Offline

Post by ValleyBell »

I confirmed that this is a website related problem and moved the topic accordingly.

The "single file download" extracts the VGZ from the ZIP package and lets you download that. And it corrupts the file during the process right now.

btw: The [pack] current version of VGMPlay/in_vgm is 0.51.

Post by vampirefrog »

Fixed the website issue, thanks for reporting