SystemSega Pico
Sound ChipsSEGA VDP PSG, uPD7759
Tracks20
Playing time10:31
Pack authormarklincadet
Pack version1.01
Last Update2023-08-12

Pack author's comment
Here's yet another solid (relatively speaking) Pico soundtrack, and one we surprisingly know the composer of. There's range! Why does the Title Screen theme feel like it belongs more in a 90s club than on the PSG chip of a children's console? So yeah, I don't think this one is half-bad.

I didn't spot the two unknown themes in any gameplay videos (aside from an odd usage explained in the notes), but I have this feeling that there's something I'm missing that these videos are glossing over. I'll keep digging and leave them labelled as unknown for now.
  • andlabs Offline

Post by andlabs »

Is the click in the middle of the "puzzles!" voice sample in the US title screen correct?

Likewise for the bias click at the end of "13 Victory.vgz" and the stray note at the end of "20 Unknown 2.vgz"?

Post by marklincadet »

Are you checking on the latest version of VGMPlay? The PCM sounds broken on anything other than the more recent versions, but I haven't been able to verify that it sounds correct myself. If the click is still there, I'll make another log.

Didn't catch the stray note nor the bias click either, will look into those and relog if necessary.

Post by marklincadet »

Okay, I've just looked into it: the stray notes in Unknown 2 are supposed to be there and I don't see anything wrong with the Victory track (txt file doesn't bring up anything weird).

As for the Title Screen: Is the problem still present in this re-rip that I made? If it sounds the same, then I don't think it's a problem with my rip, and the pack should be okay as-is.

(In fact, I'll throw in the raw rips too for troubleshooting purposes. I'm a little out of my depth with these samples.)
Attachments
picou_0.vgm
New raw log
(245.36 KiB) Downloaded 38 times
picoj_01.vgm
Original raw log
(480.45 KiB) Downloaded 35 times
picou_0_trimmed.vgm
New trimmed file
(80.01 KiB) Downloaded 36 times

Post by marklincadet »

Okay, I've gone over the US Title Screen as well- after some deliberation and discussion, I've decided to leave it as-is. The "click" doesn't show up on hardware but it consistently shows up when logged in different contexts, leading me to believe that it is something that is best returned to when the uPD emulation is more up to snuff.

I've attached a final version of the pack with some tagging adjustments. It should be good to go on the site for now.
Attachments
Pepe's_Puzzles_(Sega_Pico).zip
(69.75 KiB) Downloaded 38 times