Skip to content

Question about the SN76489

Technical discussion about the VGM format, and all the software you need to handle VGM files.

Moderator: Staff

• xKingDukeNukemx Offline

Question about the SN76489

Post by xKingDukeNukemx »

I have a question about the SN76489. I hope someone with experiences with reverse engineering can Answer. So apparently on Deflemask they say that using PSG3 as a base for the Noise Channel 20 01 was a bug. Marble Zone was the biggest example, and they so called patched that for the newer Deflemask so now it doesn't sound correct. I even know for a fact that I seen how the psg worked in the Gens K mod, looking at the PSG window. Also After Ripping the VGM, I also converted it to Midi and what do you know, PSG 3 channel was using notes for making different Noise frequencies.

I'm gonna upload 3 recordings to just show you.

quoted from Delek, "It is not necessary to literally use the PSG3, Defle does this automatically! I think you were using the PSG3 before to indirectly control the PSG4 while it was playing always G-5... Interesting... Somehow "it worked" but it was never intended and is the effect of a bug actually."

as a matter of fact, I know that "Bug" is a feature and is present in the original Hardware.
Attachments
SN76489.zip
3 wav files inside.
(4.66 MiB) Downloaded 83 times
Nukem All