Skip to content

I want to rip VGM files for Gradius III (Arcade)

Technical discussion about the VGM format, and all the software you need to handle VGM files.

Moderator: Staff

• kylxbn Offline

I want to rip VGM files for Gradius III (Arcade)

Post by kylxbn »

I noticed that VGM files for Gradius III are not present on the archives, and I want to help by making the files. I checked the sound test from MAME and the game annoyingly automatically plays the next song after several seconds which prevents me from recording the full song. I have some hacking experience but I am totally unfamiliar with Gradius III's hardware and with MAME's debugging features, even. M1 plays the songs fine (or at least, I think so because I never heard the songs from an actual arcade machine so I have nothing to compare it to) but people say M1 is inaccurate compared to MAME so at least I want to do it with MAME.

Can someone guide me on what I should do to record VGM files of Gradius III from MAME?

Thank you in advance for any guidance :D
  • kylxbn Offline

Post by kylxbn »

Oh. I tried to play the recorded VGM from M1 using vgmplay, but the K007232 sound chip doesn't seem to get played. Maybe the VGM format or vgmplay does not support this chip yet? If that's the reason why Gradius III is not yet ripped, then I apologize for the confusion.
  • BoxCubed Offline

Post by BoxCubed »

Yeah, the k007232 is not in the VGM specs, so that's why it's not logged yet.

Post by Mao (RN22) »

yeah, same with me too. the problem is K007232 is not yet working in libvgm right now, cuz that sound chip is not like a custom soundchip than the other konami soundchip games as far as i know. So maybe in the future?
To-Do list:
?

Current Status: I could only upload 5 VGM packs per VB's stream.
Tempo: 105.95%
Pitch: +1.00

Better Call Mao!

Please, check my WIP list for more updates.

Post by Mao (RN22) »

So if you wanna rip Gradius III right now, MAME VGM Mod doesn't support K007232 chip. You can check this website's wiki and search unsupported chips. You can see what soundchips are not supported by the .vgm format. But if you want to rip this game's music in the future, I can help you with that as I wanted to rip Gradius III too. But VGM ripping can be complicated as my experience ripping those. You can PM me if you want to rip Gradius III in the future. But for now, there's no way to log K007232 chips in MAME. You can just wait till VB added these.
To-Do list:
?

Current Status: I could only upload 5 VGM packs per VB's stream.
Tempo: 105.95%
Pitch: +1.00

Better Call Mao!

Please, check my WIP list for more updates.