Skip to content

Is it possible to rip Nintendo DS music?

Technical discussion about the VGM format, and all the software you need to handle VGM files.

Moderator: Staff

• SirDarwin Offline

Is it possible to rip Nintendo DS music?

Post by SirDarwin »

Hi, sorry if someone's asked before but the search function ignored "nintendo ds" so it's hard to find...

I'd like to rip the Pokemon gen 4 music but I'm not sure if it's possible (or even if it has channels that can be isolated). I don't know much about music or audio tech. I haven't been able to find VGM's for it anywhere nor any deconstructions of the songs.

Or perhaps those games use MIDI of some sort? Or is all game music from that era and before technically "midi?"

I would appreciate it if someone could help me figure it out...
  • MelonadeM Offline

Post by MelonadeM »

That won't be possible unfortunately, as the VGM format doesn't support Nintendo DS music as of yet. I think there's a special format for it that you can find on sites like zophar, but you'll need a different player or plugin for those kinds of files.

Post by Mao (RN22) »

And I think is .vio2sf? i guess.
To-Do list:
?

Current Status: I could only upload 5 VGM packs per VB's stream.
Tempo: 105.95%
Pitch: +1.00

Better Call Mao!

Please, check my WIP list for more updates.
  • Dekyo-NO Offline

Post by Dekyo-NO »

The format is called 2SF. vio2sf is a plug-in for Winamp and foobar2000. And you don't need to do any rips of Pokémon music because those are already ripped. Maybe you will find more updated rips in hcs64's forum.

Post by Mao (RN22) »

yeah, you're right. thanks for telling me that.
To-Do list:
?

Current Status: I could only upload 5 VGM packs per VB's stream.
Tempo: 105.95%
Pitch: +1.00

Better Call Mao!

Please, check my WIP list for more updates.
  • andlabs Offline

Post by andlabs »

Note that the *sf formats are NOT logged like VGM is, but are rather the actual sound data extracted from the game code. And because Nintendo DS games tended to be fairly consistent in their use of Nintendo's stock sound driver, most games are already ripped. The only ones that can't be ripped are games that stream audio data directly.