Skip to content

[VGM2PRE] Who here uses the Echo (echo.mdscene.net) format?

Need testers

Technical discussion about the VGM format, and all the software you need to handle VGM files.

Moderator: Staff

• neologix Offline

[VGM2PRE] Who here uses the Echo (echo.mdscene.net) format?

Post by neologix »

I've just about finished adding to VGM2PRE the ability to dump YM2612 presets to Echo's EIF format for use with the MD-specific Echo sound driver and I'm looking for a few people to help me make sure that the EIFs it produces are valid.

Who here uses Echo for music production for MD/Genesis games? Let me know so I can send you a link to a testing binary. I will also be polling on SpritesMind Forums and sending links to certain devs and previous VGM2PRE testers as well, so I hope to get a decent distribution of VGM2PRE and/or Echo users for this version.

Once it's confirmed to work I'll push the code to GitHub and update the official binary downloads.
Last edited by neologix on 2013-05-10, 19:01:32, edited 2 times in total.
  • zzo38 Offline

Post by zzo38 »

I don't know what those formats are, but it would be good to know, to convert between such formats, possibly from/to VGMCK format for various FM synth presets, too.
  • neologix Offline

Post by neologix »

http://echo.mdscene.net (redirects to https://github.com/sikthehedgehog/Echo) is the URL for the project.

I would love to add VGMCK preset support to the app later! I need to study the source you've included to get an idea how each format is handled. Let me know what would be a good file format to output to that is usable in VGMCK and I'll put it in the todo list :)
  • zzo38 Offline

Post by zzo38 »

Thanks for these links; the information about the EIF format is helpful.

For VGMCK format, the best output would probably be a .MML with @x1 = { ... } @x2 = { ... } and so on, with a user-specified starting number, which can then be #INCLUDE into the MML or just copied in.

I think the stuff between the {} for YM2612 presets in VGMCK are the same as EIF but in a different order (and it is text rather than binary format).
  • neologix Offline

Post by neologix »

zzo38 wrote:For VGMCK format, the best output would probably be a .MML with @x1 = { ... } @x2 = { ... } and so on, with a user-specified starting number, which can then be #INCLUDE into the MML or just copied in.
So basically something like what I'll be doing for Famitracker VRC7-compatible YM2413 user instrument presets then. Shiny :)
  • zzo38 Offline

Post by zzo38 »

neologix wrote:
zzo38 wrote:For VGMCK format, the best output would probably be a .MML with @x1 = { ... } @x2 = { ... } and so on, with a user-specified starting number, which can then be #INCLUDE into the MML or just copied in.
So basically something like what I'll be doing for Famitracker VRC7-compatible YM2413 user instrument presets then. Shiny :)
Yes, for the OPLL instruments, VGMCK uses the same format as ppMCK (but with @x instead of @OP) and FamiTracker.