Skip to content

VGMPlay / in_vgm

Last update: 2023-12-31 (v0.51.1)

Technical discussion about the VGM format, and all the software you need to handle VGM files.

Moderator: Staff

• ValleyBell Offline

Post by ValleyBell »

To celebrate the 1st birthday of vgmrips (although I'm late because of unlucky coincidences), I updated VGMPlay/in_vgm.
Please note that VGMPlay has now a version number (sort of). The version number of in_vgm and VGMPlay will always match.

And these are the updates I made during the last half year:
  • added Ootake HuC6280 core (and set it to the default core)
  • made song changing in VGMPlay more fluid
  • added support for RF5Cxx and most v1.61 chips to the DAC Stream Conttrol
  • fixed various bugs in the NES and GameBoy cores, thanks to Delek
  • fixed a tiny bug in the YM2413 MAME core (see MAME Testers Bug 4893)
  • added PlaybackRate option to VGMPlay.ini
  • ported some small LFO-related bugfixes from Genesis Plus GX 1.71 YM2612 core, finally fixes Ending from Ghouls 'n Ghosts MD
  • fixed a small bitmask bug in the YM DeltaT core where wrong samples were played
  • turned YM2612 pseudo-stereo effect into an optional feature
  • added per-chip volume setting of VGM v1.70
  • "fixed" OKIM6258 adpcm streaming (it's more a workaround) and added panning support
  • hacked MAME YM3812 and AdLibEmu (OPL2+OPL3) cores to fix missing notes due to KeyOn + KeyOff being sent at the same sample (fixes Lemmings 3D: Golf 1)
  • fixed bugs in OPL hardware playback (general bugs and bugs specific to YMF7x4 cards, because they behave differently than my SB16 sometimes)
  • fixed OKIM6258 (even more) based on XM6
  • [in_vgm] Fixed bug where Japanese game and author tag wouldn't load (and maybe more similar bugs I forgot)
Download links are in the [pack] OP.

EDIT 2012-12-05 19:38: Forgot chip volume setting update.

Post by Kaminari »

Nice treat for the forum reopening. Ootake's core is superb, and LFO/vibrato works great (eg. Hany in the Sky - Diamond Rhapsody). Thank you VB!

Post by ZekeSulastin »

ArchLinux AUR pkg is updated: https://aur.archlinux.org/packages/vgmplay/
The script that goes with it is also updated and assumes you change "-o vgmplay" to "-o VGMPlay" in the makefile of vgmplay itself as is done in the AUR pkg (will fix THAT later ...).
Last edited by ZekeSulastin on 2012-12-05, 2:29:37, edited 1 time in total.
  • RichterEX2 Offline

Post by RichterEX2 »

ValleyBell wrote: [*]turned YM2612 pseudo-stereo effect into an optional feature
I can't seem to find this option in in_vgm. Is it exclusive to VGMPlay, or am I just not looking hard enough? :shock:
  • ValleyBell Offline

Post by ValleyBell »

Sorry, but yes - such options are VGMPlay exclusive. Maybe I should just add them to in_vgm.ini until I add them in the GUI.
  • Knurek Offline

Post by Knurek »

Kaminari wrote:Nice treat for the forum reopening. Ootake's core is superb, and LFO/vibrato works great (eg. Hany in the Sky - Diamond Rhapsody). Thank you VB!
Kaminari, since you're the PCEngine go-to guy, I have a question.

So far I've been favoring HES rips instead of VGM ones, unless there were some problems with the HES file or for games that didn't have other rips at all.

With the Ootake core in in_vgm, do you feel that it's best to switch the all of HES rips with VGM packs where possible? I could offer both HES and VGM packs for user to choose from, but I would prefer to stick to one, 'ultimate' version.

Thanks.

Post by Kaminari »

Tough call, personally I don't think the two formats are exclusive. I prefer HES as it's essentially the original code, but VGM is more versatile and portable. It's also a convenient alternative for logging those games which haven't been ripped in HES.
  • 2ch-H Offline

Post by 2ch-H »

ValleyBell wrote:added per-chip volume setting of VGM v1.70
Is there a tool to set?
Are there any documents?
  • ValleyBell Offline

Post by ValleyBell »

2ch-H wrote:
ValleyBell wrote:added per-chip volume setting of VGM v1.70
Are there any documents?
Oops ...
Please redownload the VGMPlay source. I included the current VGM spec. now.

And sorry, there are no tools for v1.70 yet. It's on my TODO list.
  • 2ch-H Offline

Post by 2ch-H »

Thank you, I found a document of spec.

Post by Sonic of 8! »

Before I take the logging VGM operations, YM2203's Discrete output is supported for logging and / or playing (game that I see it: Iron Horse)?

Post by Kaminari »

I hesitate to report this bug in the Aldynes (PCE/SGX) topic, as it seems to be related to the new versions of VGMPlay and in_vgm.

Many tracks (Stage 2, Stage 3, etc) crash the player with an APPCRASH error, either immediatly or after a couple of seconds of playback. For information, the crashes occur with both cores (Ootake and Mame).
  • ValleyBell Offline

Post by ValleyBell »

Indeed. For some reason, there are a few writes that go to register 0x98. VGMPlay interprets this as register 0x18 for the (non-existing) second chip and crashes.
(The HuC6280 has only 0x10 registers, btw, and the chip would read it as register 0x08.)

So, actually this is more a problem of the pack itself than of VGMPlay. I'll fix this soon.

btw: Making dual-chip support safer is on my TODO list.
Commands for a chip type that's not defined in the VGM's header don't crash VGPlay and are silently ignored.
I just didn't add the same protection for the second chip.

@Sonic Of 8!: You mean that the AY-part of the YM2203 is in "discrete" mode, right? It should be supported (like: it produces sound), but there's still that problem with the AY's changing clock speed.
The fastest way it always to try it out. It can either work or not.

Post by Sonic of 8! »

Let me see... The Game Information screen says OPN+DISCRETE. When I play the game, I go to Slider Controls, and only DISCRETE volume is avaliable. When I low it, all sound is muted (including FM). But because on my house the energy electric was goes out, I didn't see if was created a VGM file or not. Tomorrow I check this.

Post by Sonic of 8! »

Good news: Iron Horse was loggable and it was totally ripped by me. Uploading them into my VGM folder (but not publishing in the forum, of course) in 3..., 2..., 1...