Skip to content

VGMPlay / in_vgm

Last update: 2023-12-31 (v0.51.1)

Technical discussion about the VGM format, and all the software you need to handle VGM files.

Moderator: Staff

Post by vampirefrog »

It's a bit inconsistent. You could just order them and use MuteMask all the way. But thanks, it worked.
  • witchspace Offline

Re: VGMPlay / in_vgm

Post by witchspace »

The location of VGMPlay.ini in the manpage is wrong, I'd suggest the following patch:

Code: Select all

diff --git a/vgmplay.1 b/vgmplay.1
index 8b0a8fc..ba4e8b0 100644
--- a/vgmplay.1
+++ b/vgmplay.1
@@ -108,7 +108,7 @@ It's possible to write Wave files by editing the "LogSound"-line in the ini-file
 Batch conversions are possible by opening a playlist.
 FM hardware cannot be logged to Wave files.
 .SH CONFIGURATION
-vgmplay is configured in the file VGMPlay.ini, which should be located in $XDG_CONFIG_HOME (thus, by default ~/.config/VGMPlay.ini).  A sample configuration /usr/share/vgmplay/VGMPlay.ini is available for copying and general reference.
+vgmplay is configured in the file VGMPlay.ini, which should be located in $XDG_CONFIG_HOME/vgmplay (thus, by default ~/.config/vgmplay/VGMPlay.ini).  A sample configuration /usr/share/vgmplay/VGMPlay.ini is available for copying and general reference.
 .SH BUGS
 PauseEmulation is disabled under Linux if no FM Hardware is used.
 .PP
Also for some reason it's playing vgm files really fast here (on Ubuntu Linux 14.04 with latest version VGMPlay 0.40.5, using libao). Haven't debugged yet why. I already tried playing with SampleRate and PlaybackRate but no difference. But it sounds as if it is sending with the wrong sampling rate.
  • ValleyBell Offline

Post by ValleyBell »

Thanks, it will be fixed with the next release.

About the sped up sound: This happened to me under openSUSE sometimes after pausing and resuming. It seems to let me write the buffers too quickly. I haven't yet found a way to fix it.
  • witchspace Offline

Post by witchspace »

ValleyBell wrote:Thanks, it will be fixed with the next release.

About the sped up sound: This happened to me under openSUSE sometimes after pausing and resuming. It seems to let me write the buffers too quickly. I haven't yet found a way to fix it.
Yes, it seems to be a problem with libao (which in turn sends to pulseaudio?) output. When I log to a sound file it works great, and with the OSS backend it does too.
  • rainwarrior Offline

Post by rainwarrior »

The gain seems to be too high in some cases with the latest VGMPlay.

I can hear it very prominently in Track 11 from this pack:
http://vgmrips.net/packs/pack/black-tiger-arcade

In 40-3, which I used when I made the pack, it plays fine, but in 40-5 you can hear scratchy clipping throughout.

If this is due to a change in emulation, maybe the pack needs an update, but if there is a bug with the gain...?
Last edited by rainwarrior on 2019-10-09, 19:34:49, edited 1 time in total.
  • ValleyBell Offline

Post by ValleyBell »

The VGMs themselves have gain set to 1.00 (value 0x00).
But I changed the volume of the AY chip some time ago (part of the OPN chips as "SSG"), so this might have affected the default volume for VGMs with YM2203/2608/2610.
  • 2ch-H Offline

Post by 2ch-H »

in_vgm for foobar2000.(It is not what I made, Were made by anonymous users in Japan)
Edit:Remove dead link.

-How to install
Create a folder foo_input_vgm to user-components folder, please put the vgm_player.dll and foo_input_vgm.dll in the foo_input_vgm folder,
or please put the vgm_player.dll and foo_input_vgm.dll in the components folder.

Edit:
If you can not download, please try the mirror here.
Edit2:
Please look here Post.
Last edited by 2ch-H on 2015-01-24, 9:17:47, edited 3 times in total.

Post by vgmlove »

2ch-H~ Thank you! :wink:
Hello
  • MaliceX Offline

Post by MaliceX »

2ch-H wrote:in_vgm for foobar2000.(It is not what I made, Were made by anonymous users in Japan)
http://ux.getuploader.com/foobar2000/do ... 1_beta.zip
You can download by pressing the "ダウンロード" button.

-How to install
Create a folder foo_input_vgm to user-components folder, please put the vgm_player.dll and foo_input_vgm.dll in the foo_input_vgm folder,
or please put the vgm_player.dll and foo_input_vgm.dll in the components folder.

Edit:
Nice find. Thanks for sharing this port!
EDIT: I can see the only thing that doesn't appear to work, is OKI MSM6258 (SHARP X68000 ADPCM unit). Everything else does, and it sounds like they're using a different core for HuC6280 (sounds a lot like NEZPlug's). :)
-dj.tuBIG/MaliceX
  • 2ch-H Offline

Post by 2ch-H »

MaliceX wrote:Nice find. Thanks for sharing this port!
EDIT: I can see the only thing that doesn't appear to work, is OKI MSM6258 (SHARP X68000 ADPCM unit). Everything else does, and it sounds like they're using a different core for HuC6280 (sounds a lot like NEZPlug's). :)
It appears to be working.
You have enabled the vgm of foo_gep.dll Did you mean? (Prefer foo_gep.dll If you have enabled)
  • RichterEX2 Offline

Post by RichterEX2 »

2ch-H wrote:in_vgm for foobar2000.(It is not what I made, Were made by anonymous users in Japan)
http://ux.getuploader.com/foobar2000/do ... 1_beta.zip
You can download by pressing the "ダウンロード" button.

-How to install

Edit:
Aaand goodbye, Winamp! :D
  • MaliceX Offline

Post by MaliceX »

2ch-H wrote:
MaliceX wrote:Nice find. Thanks for sharing this port!
It appears to be working.
You have enabled the vgm of foo_gep.dll Did you mean? (Prefer foo_gep.dll If you have enabled)
Whoops. Thanks for that. It was interesting because 1.70 vgm's were working. (last i checked, foo_gep didn't support them)
-dj.tuBIG/MaliceX
  • blitzlunar Offline

Post by blitzlunar »

Wow, fantastic news. I will give this a try today, and go through all the sets I downloaded which so far did not play either accurately or at all with foo_gep!

Post by Kaminari »

MaliceX wrote:It sounds like they're using a different core for HuC6280 (sounds a lot like NEZPlug's).
Actually, it's the audio core from Ootake.
Thanks 2ch-H for the link!
  • MaliceX Offline

Post by MaliceX »

Kaminari wrote:
MaliceX wrote:It sounds like they're using a different core for HuC6280 (sounds a lot like NEZPlug's).
Actually, it's the audio core from Ootake.
Thanks 2ch-H for the link!
Yeah that's my mistake for not unchecking .VGM playback from foo_gep first. :P
-dj.tuBIG/MaliceX