vgmrips

The forum about vgm files
It is currently 2019-11-19, 0:22:29

All times are UTC + 1 hour [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 306 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 17, 18, 19, 20, 21
 Post subject:
PostPosted: 2019-02-28, 8:22:04 

Staff Staff
Programmers Programmers
Musicians Musicians
Contributors Contributors
Reverse engineers Reverse engineers

kodi wrote:
Actually, Yamaha made reference driver for PC for YMF278B and as result of that it was put on a lot of high-end sound cards of that time like Audiotrix Pro card. So, I meant demo MIDI files that come with that particular sound card. I am new to VGM and YMF278B emulation, but in the last days I educated myself and I believe I understand what is the missing link:

MIDI file --A--> MIDI player --B--> OS/Driver/MCU, etc --C--> YMF278B

basically it seems VGM is the data-dump done on point C, i.e. raw commands send to the YMF278B.

Yes, the VGM is all data dumped at point C.
Creating VGMs of those demo MIDI might be difficult though due to there being no PC emulators that support OPL4 cards AFAIK. (Maybe there is some DOSBox fork that does it?)

Anyway, if you should get anywhere with your YMF278B research, be sure to make a topic in the "Non-VGM Technical Discussion" forum. Also feel free to post links to the driver archives / demo MIDIs there.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 2019-04-23, 23:18:56 

Could anybody walk me through getting this to work on a Mac. Please. I followed the github instructions but I'm very much a noob to such things so the instruction " just run make" is lost on me.

I edited the makefile, running that just returns a 'command not found' in Terminal.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 2019-04-24, 10:04:07 

Staff Staff
Reverse engineers Reverse engineers

You're not supposed to execute "makefile" in the terminal, you're supposed to navigate to the directory that contains the makefile and type "make" in the terminal. If you type "make install" or "sudo make install", it will also install vgmplay meaning you can execute it from any directory. Also adding the constants in the make arguments means you won't have to edit the makefile.

Also, we don't provide mac support as we are mostly Windows and Linux users here, so don't ask us how to setup a mac build environment, but maybe these links will help http://osxdaily.com/2014/02/12/install-command-line-tools-mac-os-x/ and https://brew.sh/

Post subject:
PostPosted: 2019-04-24, 21:25:36 

Thanks.

Quote:
Also, we don't provide mac support as we are mostly Windows and Linux users here, so don't ask us how to setup a mac build environment

Ok.? It does have a Mac build though and so I presume there are Mac users and the GitHub linked here so I couldn't see where else to ask.

Thanks again.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 2019-04-24, 22:56:31 

I have a Mac myself but I'm not sure if it has make by default to be honest. I'm pretty sure it doesn't have git and a compiler though. As ctr said you need to install some tools. It's too bad Apple didn't make it very easy to install the Xcode Command Line Tools, you need to get it here: https://developer.apple.com/download/more/

When you're through that you need brew:
cd
mkdir homebrew && curl -L https://github.com/Homebrew/brew/tarball/master | tar xz --strip 1 -C homebrew

Then:
brew install git
brew install cmake

then you're ready:
git clone https://github.com/vgmrips/vgmplay.git
cd vgmplay/VGMPlay
make

When done you should be able to start vgmplay using:
./vgmplay

PostPosted: 2019-08-08, 18:04:25 

Since in my Windows 7 64-bit box with Windows 10 SDK 10.0.17763.0 launching Visual Studio 2017 Community Edition takes forever,
and knowing that later versions of Visual Studio have both CMake and ninja on their back,
today I happily compiled libvgm suite in a fast way with these three moves

Code:
C:\Users\user\libvgm\buildVS2017>"C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Visual Studio\2017\Community\VC\Auxiliary\Build\vcvarsall.bat" amd64 10.0.17763.0

Batch initializes environment variables for Visual Studio and PATH is among them, now utilities like cmake and ninja can be called with their names
instead of full paths like
"C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Visual Studio\2017\Community\Common7\IDE\CommonExtensions\Microsoft\CMake\CMake\bin\cmake.exe"
and
"C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Visual Studio\2017\Community\Common7\IDE\CommonExtensions\Microsoft\CMake\Ninja\ninja.exe"

Code:
C:\Users\user\libvgm\buildVS2017>cmake -G Ninja -DCMAKE_BUILD_TYPE=Release ..

Code:
C:\Users\user\libvgm\buildVS2017>ninja

It's easy. Isn't it?
I suspect on Apple Mac things should be the same. For one thing now there's Visual Studio for Mac.

Or, if Xcode is preferred over Visual Studio for Mac, just download CMake Mac installer and retrieve Ninja from package manager. Then retrieve libvgm and

1-Mac.
Code:
User-MBP:libvgm/buildMac User$cmake -G "Ninja" -DCMAKE_BUILD_TYPE=Release ..

2-Mac.
Code:
User-MBP:libvgm/buildMac User$ninja

Giangiacomo

P.S.
for other reasons I have compiled zlib and iconv from sources and so, speaking the truth I also edited CMakeList.txt, this part

set(ZLIB_ROOT C:/Users/user/workspace/zlib-1.2.11 CACHE PATH "ZLib directory")
set(Iconv_INCLUDE_DIR C:/Users/user/workspace/libiconv-win-build/include CACHE PATH "directory with iconv headers")
set(Iconv_LIBRARY C:/Users/user/workspace/libiconv-win-build/build-VS2017-MT/x64/Release/libiconv.lib CACHE FILEPATH "iconv library")

P.P.S.

on Windows o.s. it seems more integrated and compact compiling with Visual Studio + vcpkg package manager + ninja. Since libvgm depends on zlib and libiconv, vcpkg must be used to import these libraries with

Code:
PS C:\Users\gzaff\Devs\libvgm> .\vcpkg install zlib:x64-windows libiconv:x64-windows

then modify CMakeLists.txt

Code:
diff --git a/CMakeLists.txt b/CMakeLists.txt
index 493ff85..7e24ec1 100644
--- a/CMakeLists.txt
+++ b/CMakeLists.txt
@@ -21,11 +21,12 @@ if(MSVC)
        set(CMAKE_DEBUG_POSTFIX "_${MSVC_POSTFIX}${CMAKE_DEBUG_POSTFIX}")
        set(CMAKE_MINSIZEREL_POSTFIX "_${MSVC_POSTFIX}${CMAKE_MINSIZEREL_POSTFIX}")
        set(CMAKE_RELWITHDEBINFO_POSTFIX "_${MSVC_POSTFIX}${CMAKE_RELWITHDEBINFO_POSTFIX}")
-
-       set(ZLIB_ROOT "${PROJECT_SOURCE_DIR}/libs" CACHE PATH "ZLib directory")
-       set(Iconv_INCLUDE_DIR "${PROJECT_SOURCE_DIR}/libs/iconv/include" CACHE PATH "directory with iconv headers")
-       set(Iconv_LIBRARY "${PROJECT_SOURCE_DIR}/libs/iconv/lib/libiconv.lib" CACHE FILEPATH "iconv library")
-
+
+       find_package(ZLIB REQUIRED)
+
+       add_library(unofficial::iconv::libcharset INTERFACE IMPORTED)
+       add_library(unofficial::iconv::libiconv INTERFACE IMPORTED)
+
        if(NOT MSVC_VERSION LESS 1400)
                add_definitions("/D _CRT_SECURE_NO_WARNINGS")
        endif()

Code:
C:\Users\user\libvgm\buildVS2017>"C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Visual Studio\2017\Community\VC\Auxiliary\Build\vcvarsall.bat" amd64 10.0.17763.0

Code:
C:\Users\user\libvgm\buildVS2017>cmake -G Ninja -DCMAKE_TOOLCHAIN_FILE=C:/Users/user/vcpkg/scripts/buildsystems/vcpkg.cmake -DCMAKE_BUILD_TYPE=Release ..

Code:
C:\Users\user\libvgm\buildVS2017>ninja

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 306 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 17, 18, 19, 20, 21